• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

(UK) Transit or Transporter? Height restrictions.

Started by Ahoff, September 23, 2018, 07:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ahoff

Hi all! New to converted campers, but getting ever more keen. Saved up, now need to decide what to spend my savings on.

Most people appear to go for the VW Transporter conversion, but I'm leaning towards the Ford Transit: higher, more space due to square sides over the rounded sides of the VW..

However, I've been told the VW is lower therefore especially in the UK, if you want the pop up roof (I do), adding x cm to the height. If you do this on the Ford Transit it becomes too high and you'll have problems getting under car park height barriers.

Wondering who has had similar issues and whether indeed this means a VW could be ordered over the Ford Transit..?

Keen for your views!! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahoff

Btw.. heights:
Ford Transit: 2123 mm
VW transporter: 1970 mm

Ahoff

One solution could be to lower the suspension of the Ford if this helps to bypass the problem but not sure it does, and still keen for your views and experiences!

Camper_Dan

Greetings!

Basically you need to choose between parking garages or the ability to stand up. 

I have a comfy desk chair on wheels, and for my shower, I sit on my toilet.  I cook while seated, and if I want to stand I have the outdoors to do it in.  I can move my toilet/shower outside, and my kitchen too if I wish to stand while using them.

Square walls vs. rounded walls means little in reality, overall width means more.  Measure from the  narrowest point, which is usually the roof line, and that't where your interior walls will be.  A few inches really doesn't make that much difference anyway.  Overall floor plan is what makes the biggest difference.  You can have everything in a mini van if you plan it right.

Cheers!

Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!