• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Addition to the Converted Van Clan!

Started by RebelQueen, April 07, 2017, 05:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RebelQueen

Just though I'd start off by making a wee introduction.. RebelQueen here (aka RQ or Jeanne in everyday life lol) from Aberdeen  :)

About 18 months ago we bought a 2003 T350 MH LWB minibus with super low miles, one weekend on a whim... (errr ??? alcohol may have been involved) after talking about converting a van into a camper so we could start taking off for wee family road trips.

My husband Steve and I proceeded to strip right back to the metal core of the van... hence why she's now called Cora. So glad that we did as we discovered that water had been getting in and the floor at the back was rotten.

We insulated the floor and panels and got the van in a very basic layout, put back in the 1st row of minibus seats at the front. Behind the seats we placed a kitchen unit cobbled together from our dismantled old wardrobe plus we had space to store a luggable loo. At the back a dinnette/double bed and tinted the windows with privacy film which we completed just in time to transport 3 adult and 3 kids to the Belladrum Festival in August last year.

I'm so glad that we haven't forked out any cash for the layout so far, as now we've done a few trips away hubby has now admitted that I was right in saying we needed a toilet onboard  ;D ;D ;D So there's still a long way to go and lots more to do.

But for now it's back to the drawing board to figure out how to re-jig the layout.

Looking forward to getting any advice, tips and tricks from you guys along the way.  :D

Camper_Dan

Greetings & Welcome!

Sounds like a good start, but did you find and fix the leak?  Very important!

I am a firm believer in having your own toilet and shower in a camper van.  Once filled up with  supplies, I don't want to be dependent on anyone else for my total comfort and self sufficiency.

3 adults and 3 kids seems like it might be pretty tight, are you supplementing with a tent?

Cheers!
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!

RebelQueen

Thanks for the welcome Dan :)

Yeah we found the leak and Cora's now watertight! It's also comforting to know that any issues that weren't visually apparent, have now been taken care of. It was a right royal pain to do, but it'll be worth it in the long run!!

We were only transporting my SIL and her 2 kids to the festival haha.. they had their own tent to stay in. 
However.. we did all have to sleep in the van for one night in Inverness, a tight squeeze and definitely a one time deal in the current configuration!!

We are now aiming to transport 5 people, and hopefully sleep 4/5 if the need arises (child's bed in the front cab, almost king size bed behind cab, and a drop down pulley system single pipe berth over that) the toilet and kitchen would then be at the rear of the van.

The majority of the time it'll just be the 3 of us heading off, so trying to make it a 4/5 berth is probably overkill but I'd like the option there anyway (if I can suss out a way to make it all fit)! ;)

Camper_Dan

Maybe you're in luck...  I found a floorplan that just might work for you.

It's a tall order, but I can see how it could be made to work.

Good Luck!
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!