• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Driving an oldish Iveco Daily around Europe 2016

Started by Gary, October 20, 2015, 12:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

So I've been reading Mikes blog and a couple of others for the past year or so having brought and converted our van in the summer of 2013. Myself and Clair and our daughter (2 1/2) have completed loads of trips in the past couple of years taking in parts of Europe for up to 3 weeks at a time. Travelling is for us so we've both handed in our notices at work and booked the ferry on New years eve traveling to from Poole to Cherbourg and plan to return in 9 or so months. We hope to take in as much as possible as it will be a few years before we can complete such a trip again. The plan is to head down to Morocco for about 6 weeks then loop around Europe at a steady pace but with the thought of at least another 6 weeks in Greece (May / June).
So we think the van is fit for purpose, its has 86K with flaky paint but little rust. I've fitted the following 2 x 100w solar panels, 3 x 105 ah bty, split charge relay, 8amp 240 volt charger, Waeco Cr50 fridge, 24" tv with usb port, Thetford porta potti qube 165, VW T5 double passenger seat to replace Daily's so they can swivel and have the extra storage space under, 2 stove gas burner from Ikea (works on lpg), heavy duty external double gas ring, water pump, fresh water storage 75L, grey 25L, this week will be fitting an Eberspacher Airtronic D2 heater, hot water comes from a kettle. The van has loads on insulation and storage space.

So I want to pick your brains, is anyone planning to head into Turkey next year or been recently and can give us any advise? We don't have a shower or even hot running water, this hasn't been a problem on our 3 week trips and we've budgeted in plenty of swimming pool trips. We do have solar showers and a very big bucket, but any other tips on how to find cheap hot showers in the winter would be great.

Please say hello if you see us on the road, we drink loads of tea and there's always cold beer in the fridge  :)

ps Mike the blog is great, loving all the photos

kryten

An occasional stop at a campsite might help with the showers. Swimming pools is another option, just to use the showers. A couple of sponges and a bucket or even a temp outside shower can be rigged up. If you can open both your rear doors, throw a tarp across to create a curtain and you have an outside shower cubicle. Not to be tried if wilding in a built up area. Most wilders go with the sponge and wet wipes. Greece will be hot when you're there so find a lake and go for a swim. Greece and that area can get unpleasantly hot during May and June so you might want to plan on heading north during the summer.

There is a book called "A Monkey Ate My Breakfast" which might guide you in Morocco, worth looking at.

You seem to be well prepared for your adventure. Have fun.