• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

greetings from Colorado

Started by sparkyboy, April 30, 2017, 04:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparkyboy

Hello all! This 1977 Chevy g10 has been in the family since 1981, before I was born. She has been driven by my dad and brother off and on but has been sitting for about 5 years. I dug her out recently and plan on a mini camper conversion. She started right up! Just needed a clutch and tires and ready to roll!
250 ci inline six, 3 speed on the column, 155,000 miles. Looking forward to many more miles

sparkyboy

Just for grins here she is with my 1977 Camaro. I have had this car for 20 years since I was 12. Also 250 3 speed  :)

Camper_Dan

Greetings & Welcome!

You're half way to home plate since you already have a van.

Since it's been sitting for a while, I would suggest a fresh oil change, and new hoses & belts.  I'd probably also add a bottle of fuel system cleaner to the gas tank.  Check your brake fluid & brakes too.

Check all your door and window seals.  Brake Fluid is a great rubber rejuvenator, just be careful not to get any on the paint.

I don't recall whether that year and engine still has points, or an electronic ignition.  If it's points, I can highly recommend the kind that simply replaces the points with a magnetic pickup, and replaces the rotor with one that has magnets around it.  If those ever die, you can toss the old points back in and you're ready to roll.

Measure both your floor, and about beltline, because beltline will be a bit wider.  Decide what amenities you want, and then in conjunction with the measurements you can figure out how to make everything fit.  Make sure your bed is long enough to be comfortable, even if it means going lengthwise. 

Since this is your first rodeo, I'd keep it as cheap and simple as possible, because only experience and use can tell you what will be best for you down the line.  Too many people make the mistake of dumping a ton of money into something, only to realize they screwed up because they didn't know any better.  I keep everything portable so it can be switched to a different van, or rearranged as my needs change.

Give a shout if I can be of assistance.
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!

sparkyboy

Hey thanks for the tips, Dan!
Yeah the van does have the hei that gm made, so no adjusting points with a matchbook, ha! I love these engines they are dead reliable and well engineered. Even better than the phase one Subaru ej22 which is fantastic and I absolutely love (I retrofitted one into my girlfriends 86 GL) the gm inline six has even that beat because it doesn't use a timing belt, but gears. So no worries about having to change a timing belt in the middle of nowhere!
Way ahead of you about getting the fluids changed, just need to get the rear diff fluid changed. Already did engine and transmission, radiator, master cylinder, greased the front suspension, filters and what not.
I'll try the brake fluid trick on the weather stripping, good tip haven't heard that one before!
Looking forward to van life, it will just be me and my dog, Vendy so a lengthwise bed won't be a problem. Budget is a little tight so yeah I'll be roughing it for a bit, but plans for electrical, lighting, paneling will be implemented when I can afford it.
Cheers man, this is a cool forum! Lots of nice rides 😊

Camper_Dan

Give Vendy a hug, a kiss, and a treat from his new Uncle Dan!  Maybe some day I'll get to deliver some in person...

Like you, I really like the older vans.  Simple and reliable.

Here's an idea for a quick & cheap kitchen for you.  You can't really see it in the picture, but there is L shaped flashing attached to the top shelf that comes down over the top of  the drawers to hold everything in place.  It's great, durable, and the drawers are moisture proof. 

You can make these as long or short as you like by simply adding or subtracting drawer units.  I like to keep my counter tops clear rather than built ins, so it can be work space too.  I use those rectangular dishpans for sinks, and trigger spray bottles for water.  All from the dollar store, and they have the advantage of being able to use them outside if you choose.  The same with a portable camp stove.  With built ins, I would have to carry duplicates if I wanted to use them outdoors.

My power system is equally as simple, but totally reliable...

Stick your house battery in the box, connect the alligator clips to it, attach the 4 outlet adapter to the side of the box with double faced tape, plug it into the adapter you just attached to the battery.  The jumper cable goes between that and the ciggy lighter on the dash, to charge it while driving.  Unless I'm not driving for more than a week, I never run short of power.  Just remember to unplug it when you're not driving...

These builds don't have to be costly to be great and practical.  Give a shout if you need any ideas, I'm a full timer, and through trial and error, I've got most of my setup figured out to where I'm happy with it.

Cheers!

Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!