• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Hello Vanners

Started by VanGuy Steve, June 30, 2017, 11:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanGuy Steve

Just joined and wanted to say hi to everyone. We just picked up a van about a month ago after a few years of looking for the right deal that we could afford. Got this 88 model E150 for $1,200. 400 mile round trip to get her. Drove her home too. Runs and drives like new.No rust. We are very very happy with her. Picked up a dog on Fathers day too. Buddy our adventure dog. He is as crazy about the van as we are. I can slide on my sandals and he goes nuts wanting to go bye bye . Well anyways here are a few shots. Plan to start the inside work on it Monday. Taking Buddy for a hair cut tomorrow and then to Home Depot for some supplies. Open road here we come.

Camper_Dan

Greetings & Welcome!

Nice van!  Please don't listen to any of the fools that will tell you to gut it out and start over...  They are getting paid big money to convince others to make horrible choices.  By leaving the floor, walls, and ceiling intact, you can save some big bucks, and the chances of actually improving on them are practically zero.

Measure your total height, and always give yourself at least 6" of leeway for any low parking garages, drive thru's, etc.  Always better to be safe than sorry.

We'll look forward to watching your conversion.  Give a shout if we can help!

Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!

sparkyboy

Cool van bro! I love the American vans, I have a 77 g10 that I love! Where are you guys located?
Post pics of your dog!

VanGuy Steve

We are in WV right now. As for gutting it out. No. I could and I could for sure make it a lot better. I used to own an Upholstery shop. Issue is I sold it years ago and don't have access to any of that now. I am not gutting it out. Just doing changes I have to inside to make it work for us. Yesterday I took out the middle seats and the tiny rear bench and framed in a bigger bed. Got it all back together now just trying to find cheap padding. When we camp we do it cheap as possible. Buddy the adventure dog is a different story.Anytime he goes he is GLAMPING. Here is a pic of our lil man.

Here is a link to what I did inside yesterday.Looks better today with some bedding on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2moFYJ0Tno

Camper_Dan

Yuppers, Buddy definitely looks like a glamper, and a spoiled one at that...

I'd call around to any big box stores in your area to see if they carry the 3" or 4" foam camping pads.  Only takes 2 to have a 5 foot wide bed.  Sometimes you can find eiither free mattresses or free couch cushions on Craigslist too, or maybe camper or tent trailer mattresses.

I think I paid $17.95 each for the last two 4" foam camper pads I got at a big box store, Can't quite remember which one, I hit up a bunch of them that day gathering supplies.

Cheers!
Pass them on!!!

VanGuy Steve

Well it's been a month or so now since we got the van I posted here. Here is an update on her.

More about what I have done to her on this other post here.
http://vandogtraveller.com/forum/van-conversion/plan-b-the-van-build/

Camper_Dan

Love those sliding doors, and always recommend them to people, since they're great at staying shut, and don't intrude into your interior space when opening them.

Cheers!
Pass them on!!!