• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Hey all - onevantwodogs.com here

Started by James, July 03, 2017, 11:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

Hey all. We have just bought a van and are documenting the progress over here https://onevantwodogs.com We have a Ford Transit with 180k on the clock. Cracking deal, had a full years MOT.

Our plan. Have the van ready for the end of 2017, start traveling start of next year with our 2 dogs.

Great to finally find an active van conversion forum!

James.

Camper_Dan

Greetings. and Welcome!

Since switching to a window van, I'm no longer a big fan of cargo vans, but to each their own.  Be very careful in your insulation process to not trap moisture on the inside of your floor, walls, or ceiling.  You can't prevent condensation, and everything from the outside skin inwards has to be wicked to the interior so it can be evaporated out.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!

James

Hi Dan. We considered a windowed van but the climates we'll be traveling in will be chilly so to conserve as much heat as possible we need a limited number of windows, one to be precise. Any more then we're screwed on a cold winters day in the Lake District, it wouldn't be very comfortable.

Insulation wise we have 3 different kinds we're wrapping around the whole skin of the interior along with two extractor fans for ventilation.  In fact, we're nearly finished this stage. Ill update with a blog post at a later date.

Cheers mate!

Camper_Dan

After having survived many cold winters, and hot summers in a very insulated cargo van with double roof vents, and then doing the same in a stock window van with no roof vents, but opening windows.  I would never go back to a cargo van.  The window van provides an amazing amount of free heat in the winter, similar to a greenhouse, and in the summer it is way easier to keep cool. 

After years of unsuccessfully fighting mother nature, I have discovered that working with her is much more successful, and a whole lot cheaper too.  Greenhouses have it right year round, and the closest we can get in a vehicle is a window van. They provide a lot of both natural heating and cooling power.  Insulation robs you of both.
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!