• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Suggestions for van types ?

Started by camo, February 06, 2015, 11:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

camo

Hey Hey.  I'd welcome any thoughts / suggestions: I've been saving cash and building the chutzpah to just 'get in the van' but ... i don't know anything mechanically (well i can bump start, change spark plugs, check oil and air - pretty bloody basic).  Not a great starting point for hitting the open road.  What sort of van would be most reliable / easiest to build some skills with / availability of parts etc.  Oh and affordable both to buy and run (i realize that's totally subjective - cheaper is better).
Great site Mike - very inspiring.  Keep going.  Further.
doing is the highway to being (richard linklater)

Gee

Hi and welcome aboard.

My thoughts for a budget van to convert you should look at LDV or old favourite ford transits. Some engines are better than others. Probably better to avoid very shoddy examples or ex courier vans. Plenty of looked after old vans around. Minibuses are quite often good value as they tend to be lower mileage. The downside is lots of glass which suits some peeps or you could always panel/paint them over, insulate inside and ply over.

Auctions (BCA or local) can be good for bargains but be careful plenty of rubbish and no test drive or detailed examination.

If your careful you should pick up a half decent example for around a grand.
Be happy whilst yer livin, for yer a lang time deid.....

Tai-chi wanderer

Made a mental tick box of why you want it, what you want it for, how big, and how much building you are going to do to make it comfortable. Once that narrows it down, check out the model in a s/hand dealers, measure up, go and look for that one.
You can easily be swayed if you have not researched. Major thought bubble .... budget. You can spend loadsa dosh doing it up and have no money to travel. Clear as mud, simples.