• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Hi

Started by Canopus, March 01, 2015, 08:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canopus

Hello Everyone,
I joined this group to gain insight on the adventures of living in a van and traveling the world.  Four years ago, I departed the workforce, I loved my job, but hated (1) the day-to-day rat race, (2) constantly discovering that the cheese I was chasing had been moved, and (3) the never ending politics.  I had worked for over 28 years within the same organization, and although it provided me financial security, I felt it had robbed me of some of the best years of my life.  So I decided that it was time for me to start engaging in daily activities that I truly love.  So I elected to take an early retirement.  I now live on a strict budget, and fill a lot of my free time engaging in outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, and kayaking.  I also travel as often as my budget permits.  I have since exchanged material possession for lifetime experiences.  I do work periodically as a substitute teacher, and I also serve on a few boards for the county I reside in.  In about seven to ten years, I plan on traveling Europe, and might live out of a van.  For now, I am living vicariously through Mike's life.  Hopefully, by being part of this forum I will learn all of the in's and out's.
Canopus

Tai-chi wanderer

Com'on guys welcome peeps aboard, makes us seem like we may be friendly dudes.  :o

Welcome aboard C.

Camper Van Travels

Shaddup you, I don't need your bloomin' reminders ringing in my ears just because you pipped me to the post for the first time lol (don't let it go your head).  ;D

Hello Canopus

How's it going? I did particularly enjoy this line, "I have since exchanged material possessions for lifetime experiences." What a little beauty expression. Love it. Consider it swiped.

Good to see you here but really, what is holding you back? How come you feel the need to live vicariously through the life of someone else when you can just as easily do this for yourself starting right now? I mean, what is it which is holding you back? Really?

Maybe, just saying, maybe you just need to do it. Just make your mind up saying in your head, 'to hell with it all, why the blazing dicken's shouldn't I do this'? Only who knows what tomorrow may bring?

I mean it's just too easy to keep putting ideas off and then one day day you wake up regretting what you planned to do but never got around to it, all for the sake of making a quick fire decision in your mind.

Who knows? The second you take this decision all kinds of new adventures might just happen which enrich your life and outlook. What's the worst that can happen? I say just bloomin' go for it and follow your dream mate - better now before it's too late.

Cheers,

Mark

Tai-chi wanderer

Pinch n punch first of the month lol,  Mark. ::)

Roadreggie

Hi Canopus,just like to say hello as well fromRR,new here myself so looking forward to hearing about your hopefully future adventures,live the dream

Camper Van Travels

Hey up Tai-Chi,

I just saw these come up for sale on Gumtree if you feel like you need some company in the back of yer van. They come in good used condition whatever the hell that means.  ;D

They're only £8 each (5 of em for 40 quid). You know for when you're feeling off yer head lol. Well at least they won't answer back.  ;D

http://www.gumtree.com/p/mannequins/5-female-mannequins-rrp-%C2%A3300-each-/1102705578

Canopus

Mark, You're right I shouldn't wait to live the dream, but unfortunately I'm not quite ready to live in a van.  Right now, I have family members that are controlling lots of my time and life, but that's okay for now.  I've decide I better be nice to them.  One day they will decide, if I should live in a nursing home, or if they will provide a place for me ;) 

Tai-Chi, I think a blow-up doll would be a much better fit for Mike.  A doll wouldn't take up a lot of room and when he's finished he can place it on a shelf.  The mannequins would always be in his way.

Mark and Tai-Chi, and Roadreggie do you live an adventurous life in a van?  If yes, for how long?

Camper Van Travels

5 years in April it'll be. Adventurous? Depends on your definition.

Yes it can be however there are plenty of times too when it's anything but, for example in the depths of winter when the nights just seem to go on and on and on. I don't know, I guess I've just got used to my own company.

If I do get bored, which isn't often, I'll just entertain myself by trying to argue with myself out loud in different accents. My favourite accents to argue with myself are the Cornish accent (cos I'm from here) and the Brummy or Burnley accents. Mind you the last time I did this I was driving up the M6 and the 'conversation' and choice insults got so fast and daft I almost ended up wetting myself with laughter with tears streaming down my cheeks almost necessitating myself having to pull onto the hard shoulder to compose myself again.

OK so I'm as barmy and eccentric as they come.  ;D

A funny as hell sample of the Cornish accent (hilarious):

Grand Theft Auto Cornwall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhL_oYjP11s

Tai-chi wanderer

Sorry Mark, I've got one that answers back I'm afraid. Must get down to see you before we go off into the sunny blue.
Used to c/site warden at the Monkeytree below Newquay. Where are you usually based,  PM me if you need to keep it quiet. Patrick.

Camper Van Travels

I'm usually down by the Helford River Patrick or on The Lizard somewhere or down in west Cornwall. I only ever stay in one location for one night (two at absolute most) to avoid annoying anyone. Quite a few of us do the same down here moving from spot to spot throughout the week.

Sunny blue? Well, I'm heading there myself soon so it would probably be easier for me to come up to Dorset than you driving down here in the opposite direction to the ferry ports to the continent. Unless you really want to visit Cornwall?

Roadreggie

Aye Canopus,lived this lifestyle for ever,never grown up,would never live in a brick,many many adventures both here in this country and France n Portugal ,though not been abroad recently.wouldn't have it any other way this life,lots more good times than bad even though the latter does crop up now and again,words from Jesus built my hod rod by Ministry sums it up,Ain't no good being where you are unless you can get away from it,Let's hit the fucking road,ding a ding dang ect,RR

treevorb

Hi Canopus, Welcome aboard.

I at first had my doubts about doing the van life but after seeing what Mike was doing took the plunge.

I bought a Convoy then a caravan and merged the two and set off last feb. Initially a quick trip on my own to recover a mates caravan from the south of France. Then we used the wifes last two weeks of employment holidays to head out to Croatia to visit friends and the bug bit, we came home, she handed her notice in (after working there for 22 years) and we set off again in July.
I documented parts of our tour on FB 'The Euro Bimble' and will do so again this year. Unfortunatley we had to return in Nov due to illness and family ill health. But we are ready to rumble again now after I have done a refit to re-arrange our layout.
i can only tell you to go for it, don't hesitate, just get on with it you are wasting time.

My favourite saying once was 'One day your life will flash before your eyes.........make sure it's worth watching' I am now doing my best to make that happen.

There is nothing like a different view everyday when you open the bedroom curtains and my only regret of the 10.000 miles we travelled last year is, we did it to quickly. We should of spent more time exploring the little villages we could see in the hills rather than drive past them on the main roads. So this year it's going to be a 'pootle' bimbling was to fast.

The world is out there, it's not going to come to find you so go find it.
Trevor
Facebook
The Euro Bimble

Tai-chi wanderer

Agree Treevorb, we make a mental destination then wander to it.
It took us 6 weeks to make our way down to San Sebastion, Spain. Our friends wanted to know why we took so long, it's only 600 mile, can do it in a day. WTF.

We detoured and found Rennes le Chateau, kin weird. So we decided to explore the Cathar sites, Carcasonne beckoned, then we met like thinkin folks and bobs you watsit, 6 weeks went.
That's the way to do it, let the fates decide where you wander. Found so many beautiful places like that.

This year Annecy, France is the desto, not been there since I was 18 and on a motorcycle. War damage was still in the streets and cemeteries were like new.
May take another 6 weeks who can tell. But the wine and brandy down there is blooody gorgeous, come to think of it 6 weeks may be too long to get there.  Patrick.

Camper Van Travels

It's taken me about 12 months just to cross the Tamar. All I ever seem to do is pootle round and round in circles.  ;D

treevorb

Pootling is the way forward I reckon.
I found a way of slowing us down on the way back to the UK..........let the wife navigate. I gave Dawn the map book and refreshed her on the basics, ie, destination for that day and make a list of all places in between, simples.
What I hadn't taken into account was womens logic of taking us into the centre of every town on the list and plenty of detours to places not on the list but "I liked the sound of it and we were passing anyway so why not" towns. I must admit that after the initial frustrations of not getting to where we intended for that evening and realising that it didn't matter anyway we found some lovely spots.
Never once did we get asked to move although we did have a few visits from the law just checking us out.
A good few years back I did a race service at Mountainbike World Cup races and got paid to visit lots of places around Europe. I also made a mental list of lots of places in between I drove my race truck through and vowed to return one day, 2014 was the start of the return. My mistake was not taking long enough. As Patrick says folk say they can do 600 mile in the day, Why? We set limits for this year. No more than 50 mile a day and no driving after dark are just two to begin with and no going over 50mph can be another.
I am getting the 'Wanderlust' again writing this and wondering wether to go via Germany or the Alps but whichever way I choose to pootle I will be out there doing it 'living the dream' all ties cut and free.

All this is meant to push you over the edge and take the plunge, dive in and learn the best way by doing it.
Trevor
Facebook
The Euro Bimble