• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Hi. The name is Rich.

Started by richwill, February 07, 2015, 12:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richwill

Just an introduction. Currently in the research phase of my ongoing journey.

Hopefully, yours will be an enriching adventure too.

Cheers

Rich
Life is a journey. Make the most of it.

Dudegoeswalkabout

Welcome aboard Rich!

I'm just at the planning stages too really.  I did already buy a van but the head gasket blew and now I've decided I want something a little bigger anyway so I'm going to move it on as it is if I can and then start looking for a bigger van.

Good luck on your journey!

Jimmy.

richwill

Cheers Jimmy,

I'm at the stage now where all my life skills will be of no practical help with this adventure :-) I can get by in terms of simple maintenance, once I've found the vehicle, which in itself seems to be the mammoth task. Go cheap, suffer the problems or the inability to repair, go expensive and still potentially have the problems.

I'm guessing nirvana is finding something which is cheap enough to buy, easy to maintain etc.

It would be good to have a friendly mechanic/s on hand to help/advise etc. Maybe pool resources/skills in a bata sort of system (sweat equity). Help in fitting out, that kind of thing. 

Just batting some ideas out there.

thanks again for the welcome. It's much appreciated

Cheers

Rich
Life is a journey. Make the most of it.

Dudegoeswalkabout

You're right there, something cheap and easy to maintain is the ideal - however we all know how things can sometimes work out!  I think as you say, buying an expensive van doesn't necessarily mean that won't be without its problems.  Unfortunately, a lot of people only decide to sell when things start going wrong!

I'm like you in so far as, I can get by with simple maintenance. Bigger jobs though and I'm stuck. Fitting out the interior I think I would be able to do, there are so many 'how to' type guides on the internet.  But vehicle mechanics I think are sometimes best left to those who know what they are doing!

A section on here where people can post technical questions I think would be great.