• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Started by Jeffers, March 06, 2015, 01:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffers

Hi Everyone, Thank you for accepting me into the fold.
I have just bought a Mk6 jumbo transit & an old 5 birth luxury caravan as a doner for my conversion.
This is a 1st attempt for me. I'll keep you all updated. Any tips on keeping the weight down as its almost 3 tonne and i haven't got anything in it yet?
Cheers Jeff

Tai-chi wanderer

Hi Jeffers welcome aboard, how do you know it weighs 3 ton, have you weighed it.

Jeffers

Hi ya. Yeah I towed a car into the scrap yard on an A frame The van with 2people went in at 4260kg & came out again at 3140kg. Deduct 2 people & the A frame we're at about 3 tonne. The van is panelled out, has a sky light & 3 roof lights.

Camper Van Travels

Just be strict with yourself what you pack on board. It's too easy to go overboard when starting out, oh this might come in useful and yes I must take that, and that, and that, oh and I mustn't forget this. It all adds up on the weight which will of course affect your fuel economy.

treevorb

I was concerned about the thickness of the ply used to line my Convoy out by the previous owner. This weekend i removed the swivel seats in the cab so I could paint the floor, I could just about manage to lift one on my own.
Time for a rethink. If we are going to go lightweight we need to be fully committed so will work with you on this.
I liked Mikes idea of using T&G cladding on the walls and ceiling then thought about using hollow UPVC T&G cladding. Just as easy to work with and half the weight.
No solid board for the units is another one, build frames and clad them with 3 ply.
I got a sheet of Ally chequer plate for the floor off Ebay, 3mm and light as a kite.

Now I need to do something about those seats and keep within the specs of the MOT
Facebook
The Euro Bimble

Camper Van Travels

Put the van through the MOT with the old seats in then as soon as it's passed switch them out. Come MOT time again do another swap and then another switch out straight after it's passed. Simple.

The T&G cladding you can buy in packs of 10 (10' long x 4" wide x 1/4" thickness) at B&Q for about give or take £8 max a pack. Then apply a wood stain to the surface and if you want to just apply a coat of yacht varnish. Tickety boo.

Jeffers

I've decided to strip it out and start again. It also means I can hide the wiring and pipe work ect. Thanks for the warm welcome.