A forum for van conversions, van living and travel

Author Topic: Van Problems - Top 3  (Read 494 times)

• View Profile
Van Problems - Top 3
« on: September 15, 2017, 03:19:40 AM »
Hi All,

My husband and I are looking at creating a product in the Vanlife space :)

Hoping for a bit of help to make sure we are heading in the right direction and that the problem we are trying to solve is genuine.

If you have a minute would mind commenting with you top 3 inconveniences/problems with the van life and how your currently deal with these problems?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

• 20+ years of Life On Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Van Problems - Top 3
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 12:32:27 PM »
Problem: Moisture, mold, heating, and cooling problems. 
Solution: Switched from heavily insulated cargo van to a window van with no added insulation, but many opening windows.  Also changed heat source from propane to kerosene.

Problem: Solar panels didn't charge batteries well, and killed batteries within about a year.
Solution: Ditched solar, added relay to charge house battery while driving, problem solved.

Problem: 12v compressor fridges.  Too expensive, power hogs, and short lifespan.
Solution: Switched back to old fashioned ice chest.

Problem: Leaky roof & roof vents.
Solution: Switched from cargo van to window van, and made sure not to add roof vents or drill any holes in roof for anything.

Okay, that's 4, but they're big ones...

• View Profile
Re: Van Problems - Top 3
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 09:48:04 PM »
Problem 1 - Van engine destruction/MOT failure

Solution - Build outside the van and then move in, screw things to the floor/battens etc run cables through conduit etc. If the van dies its all easily transferable into a new van. If you've built inside the van you feel obliged to keep it running  at any cost

Problem 2 - Cutting Windows/drilling holes etc - Don't they leak , they rust, they weaken the body and they rattle

Solution - Use a minibus or crew cab van, they often have a better floor and some sound deadening too

Problem 3 - Environmentally friendly sources of energy - I've got solar panels which work some of the time( but I've also got a charge relay which works all of the time)  Wood burner is fun but only usable in conditions below freezing  and wind turbines are noisy and complicated for little output

Solution - extra blankets, propane