• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

winter van life and the dreaded condensation

Started by caiti berry, October 15, 2015, 11:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caiti berry

Hey, I'm living in an old ldv in north yorkshire, I have a stove but still condensation is starting to rear its ugly head, I cant move southwards as I'm working, any handy hints and tips from anyone about wintering in your van would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't see a thread on this topic already existing but I'm new to the whole forum ting so my apologise if I'm just being a bit dim.

cheers
Caiti

kryten

Condensation is always annoying more so during the cold times of the year. Firstly what sort and how much insulation do you have? Do you have any bare metal showing? If you use gas for cooking or heating are you well vented? Keeping a good air flow will help with condensation but this comes at a cost of you having cold air flowing through the van at night. You could try a dehumidifier, disposable ones can be bought which work for a few weeks and might help.

Mark Tree

I use a 12v dehumidifier, brill, had it a few years from Augos and still works very well....

purplebus

Fill a load of old socks with cat litter... or salt, youll need to replace them every month or 2 but youll be amazed how well it works!

BeepBeepParker

Quote from: purplebus on March 15, 2016, 10:01:43 PM
Fill a load of old socks with cat litter... or salt, youll need to replace them every month or 2 but youll be amazed how well it works!

This sounds intriguing. Will definitely give it a try as I struggle with condensation too!