• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

General travel advice + what van to get for tall people

Started by james123, August 11, 2017, 08:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

james123

Hi all,

I'm looking to go travelling and absolutely love the idea and freedom of having my own van rather than sticking to hostels/hotels.

I've got a few things I just want advice on...

Firstly, Im 6ft 4. In an ideal world I'd like to be able to stand up properly however, a lot of the places I want to visit are cities. I don't know if a sprinter for example, will prove a nightmare. I'm a confident enough driver I'm thinking more in terms of parking up in a city.

I was therefore thinking something with a pop up roof. Most of these (transit custom/transporter) I should be able to park in most normal car parks without too much hassle right?

My other concern is in regards to security. I will have a lot of camera gear, laptops etc. left in the van, whats the best way to keep it secure?

Thanks in advance

Camper_Dan

Greetings & Welcome!

Even a pop up top will keep you out of many parking garages, because they're even too low  for a low top full size van... 

The passenger type shuttle vans and wheelchair vans will usually have the highest tops available, and with windows and an already finished interior they make the best camper vans anyway, and will save you a ton of money and work in the conversion process.

Passenger vehicles tend to get far better maintenance than cargo vans too, which is also a huge plus, plus they get safety inspected regularly.  Lots of opening windows are huge for keeping you comfortable, and fighting off moisture problems too. 

With a passenger vehicle, with a decent interior to start with, it can be as cheap and simple as merely removing the seats, and moving your new furniture in.

For your equipment I  would suggest a hidden lock box bolted down somewhere.  The other good news is that passenger vans get broken into far less often than cargo vans as long as nothing of value is left in sight. 

Good Luck, and keep us posted!
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!