• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Getting mail on the road

Started by nixbarley, July 21, 2017, 01:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nixbarley

Hi folks, wondering wether any of you might have some useful advice...
Iv been on the road for about a year and a half and not planning on living in bricks and mortar again anytime in the near future. This leaves my mail floating around to various previous addresses with some of it redireced to friends which is inconvenient for them and for me and the dvla and insurance have just caught me out as some mail has been returned so its obvious i dont live at the address on my lisense.
Iv been looking at various mail forwarding companies which offer "real uk street addresses" but most of them seem a bit dodgy! Has anyone had any experience using these services and would recommend a reliable an trustworthy company? Most companies like the dvla and banks wont accept if you have no fixed abode but surely you are still entitled to a driving lisense, insurance and a bank account without an living in a house?? Anyone know enough about this subject to know how to get around it? Any advice would be much appreciated!

NickJ83

Have a look at boatmail.com or .co.uk one of them I think. I set up with them but didnt end up using it. They do PAYG and various other packages. You can register van there and driving licence 

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

nixbarley

Hi thanks for reply, i did look at them but didnt seem totally legit like they wanted payment before setting anything up! Did they give you an address when you signed up?

Camper_Dan

I just use a private mailbox place, and list my address as 1122 Any Street, #box number, and as far as I know everyone has always accepted it like an apartment address.

I receive very little mail, and when I do they send me an email, then they will forward it to anywhere I wish, or just leave it in the box until I decide later.  You can sign up for paperless billing on almost everything, so you can handle everything from anywhere.

My van, drivers license, insurance, bank accounts, and everything are registered to my private mail box.  Never had a problem.
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!

Fetasvanstudio

I've also heard good things about boatmail (in the UK) on a Facebook full time van forum.  Am thinking of registering with them soon, so will see how it goes.

Armieouros

Boatmail is probably your best bet. You can have a private box as well, but you'll have to travel back to it at a static location (or have it forwarded repeatedly as someone has stated).