• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

hammock not the best solution?

Started by jbroder, August 15, 2016, 04:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbroder

Hi all,

I read in Mike's book that hammock is "not really the best solution for a permanent bed". I'm curious why this is, and whether there are any alternatives for mattress-based sleeping.

I am guessing that using a hammock that can be stowed away would significantly reduce construction required in a blank state van or bus, so I'd like to try it out first, unless it's known to cause issues.

All I can google are benefits of hammocks, and the explanations are so pro-hammock that I'm

And the speaker here is a complete noobie at van dwelling. I am currently a dreamer who is serious about getting started and doing a lot of research. With love for cycling and the ridiculous real estate price in the Bay Area, California, it's increasingly making sense to try this lifestyle to take the most advantage of the ample nature here.

Thanks all in advance!

Josh

kryten

Have you ever slept in a hammock before? If yes, and you feel comfortable doing this then go for it. If you haven't slept in a hammock then give it a go and see if it works for you. My personal choice would be hammocks great for relaxing but not ideal for a permanent sleeping solution.

jbroder

Thanks - that's a nice and simple explanation. I can get a hammock stand and try sleeping on a hammock every day.

SpitfireMatt

I often sleep in a hammock and I find them really comfortable. I've traveled with Mike (vandog) a few times now and have slept in his hammock. I found it just as comfortable until the temperature drops over night. Because certain parts of your body are pushed into the hammock you develop cold spots which wake you and then you have to rotate to your side. I was using a 3 seasons sleeping bag as well. At low altitudes and in summer is great though

Sent from my UMI_SUPER using Tapatalk

NickJ83

I have been sleeping in a hammock for 2 years now. I find it comfortable and once you understand how to keep warm its great.

To put it into perspective I'm about to upgrade my living accomodation to a van after 2 years living in a small industrial unit (long story, tried to rescue a failing business bla bla bla).

To keep warm in a hammock you need an underquilt of some sort. I use a 13tog double quilt tied and hung underneath my hammock.

Over the top I have a ridge line and I have at the foot end another quilt tied at the bottom so i can pull it over like a cockpit hood.

At the head end I have a lighter blanket tied at the head end. This gives me the option of pulling over differnt over the top insulation depending on outside temps.

I'm preparing my van and to get in it quicker and out of my prison of an industrial unit asap. So i'll defo be using my hammock.

I'm have a SWB transit low roof and diagonally I can just fit my hammock across.

Defo try it first just dont be put off by cold spots. Once set up right its great.

Oh and for really cold nights I even fit an electric blanket between the hammock and the underquilt.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

SpitfireMatt

Quote from: NickJ83 on October 03, 2016, 06:15:26 AM
I have been sleeping in a hammock for 2 years now. I find it comfortable and once you understand how to keep warm its great.

To put it into perspective I'm about to upgrade my living accomodation to a van after 2 years living in a small industrial unit (long story, tried to rescue a failing business bla bla bla).

To keep warm in a hammock you need an underquilt of some sort. I use a 13tog double quilt tied and hung underneath my hammock.

Over the top I have a ridge line and I have at the foot end another quilt tied at the bottom so i can pull it over like a cockpit hood.

At the head end I have a lighter blanket tied at the head end. This gives me the option of pulling over differnt over the top insulation depending on outside temps.

I'm preparing my van and to get in it quicker and out of my prison of an industrial unit asap. So i'll defo be using my hammock.

I'm have a SWB transit low roof and diagonally I can just fit my hammock across.

Defo try it first just dont be put off by cold spots. Once set up right its great.

Oh and for really cold nights I even fit an electric blanket between the hammock and the underquilt.

Sounds like a good setup, ill have to try it next time i'm in a hammock and cold. Sleeping bags seem pretty rubbish

NickJ83

Quote from: SpitfireMatt on October 05, 2016, 11:13:17 PM
Quote from: NickJ83 on October 03, 2016, 06:15:26 AM

Sounds like a good setup, ill have to try it next time i'm in a hammock and cold. Sleeping bags seem pretty rubbish
Do it before you get cold ;-)

Most nights I'm sleeping without a sleeping bag in my cucoon. Not even used my electric blanket yet whilst nights are still pretty mild.

Gingertonic

I'm going to test out hammock to see if it's viable long term. I don't want to convert seating area every night (even though I currently do that in a small studio apartment haha!). I'm only 5ft tall so if the hammock doesn't work out I'm planning on installing a pull down of some kind. We'll see how it goes. I hang out in hammocks for a living though so I may be biased :p

Camper_Dan

A hammock didn't work out for me, so I have a normal futon style sofa/bed.  I also have a recliner that I sometimes fall asleep in and just spend the night in.  I have friends that use just recliners, so that might be an option for you.
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!