• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Important Notes on Dealing With the Police

Started by Camper Van Travels, February 12, 2015, 08:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camper Van Travels

You may from time to time come into contact unfortunately with the police on your travels in the UK.

If for example you are parked up somewhere and you're in your van in a public parking area enjoying a good bottle of wine, use some commonsense. Never ever leave your keys in the ignition or have them on you.

If it's cold outside and all of your windows and doors are shut, make sure your vehicle is secure with all of the windows wound up and the doors locked. Although they might request you to talk with them, do not go outside to chat with them, just stay inside your vehicle and refuse to engage with them at all is probably the best policy. There is absolutely nothing they can do in this situation. They cannot for example force entry to your vehicle if no crime has been or is being committed.

Sure they may keep knocking on the outside of your van but sooner or later they will get bored by you not answering them and the second a more urgent matter comes to their attention over the radio, they'll be off to answer their call of duty. Yes it can be unnerving having them outside but don't allow their presence to intimidate you. Just stay put and ignore them in this situation.

You have to remember with the UK police that most of them these days are not police men or women (constables) all they are is 'policy' officers for the private corporation they represent. Their business is to merely get you into a contract with them where they can issue you with a fine (which looks good for the Home Office statistics).

Likewise all of the courts in the UK are similarly private corporations.

No contract exists unless it has a person's consent. If there is no consent to the terms of the contract no contract under their statutes and policies exists. Do not commit joinder whatever you do. I use the word 'person' in this context because it is your legal fiction, your strawman identity which they will do their best to attach the contract/fine to.

If a police 'policy' officer does stop you for whatever reason, one of their first questions to you will be, "What is your name and date of birth?"

Ask them immediately if they have taken their oath to the queen today before coming on duty. They will invariably answer, "Yes!" to this question. They have to reply in the affirmative even if it is a right load of cobblers and they're telling porky pies (lies). You next remind them that they are the public servant not the other way around.

If they continue to pester you for your details, ask them, "Is that a request or an order?"

They will reply that it is a request. All you need to say then is, "Request denied."

If they ask you again, you ask the same question again. They will again have to reply that it is a request. You reply again in exactly the same manner as you did before. "Request denied."

You can remind at this point that since we are all equal under law for their personal details, their full name, date of birth and for their address. Of course, they won't provide you with all of these details believing they have more authority over your person than your person has over their person. Which is blatantly not true.

You can then say to them, "Why should I provide you with my details when you won't give me the same respect and disclose your full details to me?" (They won't answer this question).

At this point, it's highly likely they will be getting slightly agitated to say the very least as the last thing they like is someone knowing the legal process better than themselves.

If they continue to pester you, you can simply ask them, "Am I being detained or am I under arrest?" They will reply, "No." This being the case you can then ask them, "Am I free to go then?"

If they reply, "No, not whilst I am asking you these questions," you can come back with the statement followed by a question, "Then I am being detained and if I am being detained without good cause when you just stated that I am not being detained but I am not free to go since no crime has been committed, under which specific law now am I now being detained? I ask again, am I being detained or am I free to go?"

At this point they'll probably tell you you are free to go so just do exactly that. Wish them good day and walk away from the situation. There is nothing they can do to stop you.

In essence what they are trying to do in this process is to get you into a corporate contract with them where on the slightest excuse possible they can issue you with a fine based on the most spurious of excuses.

Remember! If you do not consent to the contract no contract exists under their own rules. This applies to anybody in any situation where someone is trying to get you to contract with them. There must always be both parties consent to a contract, for a contract any contract to be given the weight of law.

If you placed under arrest the police must come out with the usual legalese blurb at the end of which they will always ask you, "Do you understand?" Never EVERr say yes and do NOT nod your head in agreement since they maybe and are in all likelihood filming you with their cameras.

The word 'understand' does not mean 'comprehend' in legalese double speak. What they are literally trying their best to get you to agree to is for you to agree to 'stand under' their authority.

If you say yes to this question, you are agreeing to the position that this other person has greater authority over the man or the woman you represent. Just keep silent. Do not at this stage answer or reply to a single question they put to you under ANY circumstances until you have a chance to speak to your solicitor in person at the police station.

There are plenty of Youtube videos you can look at which will explain the process better than I could ever hope to achieve here but I do hope this comes in useful should you need this information at any given time.

One last point, remember you are a man or a woman and NOT a person. There is a huge difference between what is legal and what is lawful. My law for example is based on the Magna Carta from the year 1215 not statutes and policies and acts of parliament which are not law in and of themselves.

Incidentally, if you don't want to pay income tax there is a very easy way around that one too but that information can wait for another thread.

All the best,

- Mark

Vantwat

My experiences with police have been varied,I spent October to May staying in my van Friday,Saturday and Sunday every week as I could only get lodgings 4 days a week.the majority of the police knocks were fine just asking me why I was in my van and did I know my exact location in case I had any trouble.The only bad experience was in a car park in Windsor where I believe the lady was castle police and she kept getting me out of the van in the cold on a Sunday morning.Horrible woman,but if you don't go along they can always find a reason to take things further or find a fault with your van.
But thanks for the info,along with the other stuff you've written,very informative :-)

Claude

i appreciate your knowledge in things in life, I think you would be a very interesting person to spend a day with. I'm intrigued to know about your views on income tax, especially as the tax system becomes a little unstable with all the variants of means, ie. eBay sales, selling art, selling cakes to friends etc. tell me more...
Converted Citreon Relay owner, driven all the way down to the south of spain from the UK and back again with my dog Claude!

instagram - @postcardsfromclaude

Camper Van Travels

Not paid a single penny in income tax for the best part of 2-3 decades. There is no law actually stating you have to pay it. Of course there is the income tax 'act' (not law) which tries to hoodwink the public into believing they must pay personal income tax but as with many of these acts of parliament, it's not what is in the act that counts, it's what's not in the wording of the act that actually counts. And in that act of parliament you will not find the words compulsory, mandatory or obligatory at all.

Same in the U.S. The IRS is a complete scam because there is no law in the country stating that it's citizens must pay personal income tax.