• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Insurance

Started by Dudegoeswalkabout, February 06, 2015, 11:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudegoeswalkabout

Hi guys,

Just wondering what people do about insurance when living/travelling full time in the van?  At the moment my van is insured at my home address, but when it is ready I will be handing the keys to the house back to my landlord.  I will therefore essentially be of No Fixed Abode. 

Are there insurance companies who offer full time live-in insurance?  Or maybe there are companies who will insure a vehicle even if you are of no fixed abode?  But then there is the question of address on driving licence etc too.  I'm pretty sure I will be able to just use a family members address for my licence and bank so that I can still get mail, however I would really prefer the insurance to be for full time travelling, so will not have an address to give them?

What are peoples experience of this? 

Urje

Very interesting questions. I'm eagerly waiting a reply on this.
Also, I'd love to know what sort of prices people are realistically paying for their campers.
I'm 23 and I'm still looking at more or less £1500+ (yearly) for insurance.
I'd like to know some figures from Mike regarding insuring his vehicle.

Tai-chi wanderer

£205 for full comp, only 90 days Euro travel though, but I managed to get breakdown cover in Eur. for £85.
Usually you have to negotiate if you want more cover abroad.

From.... Adrian Flux, give them a buzz they insure self builds and even stoves in campers. You may need to have a 'motorcaravan' designation from the DVLA, but Flux will give you about 6 months if you are converting

Dudegoeswalkabout

Mine is currently insured with Adrian Flux also.  I have cover for 365 days European driving, as well as full breakdown cover for the UK and Europe.  This is with a low mileage though, only 5000 miles a year.  I paid somewhere in the region of £300 for this cover.

treevorb

You must have the same deal as me from Adrian Flux but I upped my milage for an extra £50. They never asked what the mileage was on renewal tho
Facebook
The Euro Bimble

richwill

Maybe we can get a bit of a collective together and get some buying power in terms of a number of folk all going as a group rather than individuals? Gives a little bit of bargaining power?

Rich
Life is a journey. Make the most of it.

Tai-chi wanderer

Yeah they do it on another Forum. !!

Camper Van Travels

I've insured my LDV Convoy 2.5TD with Direct Dial, fully comp cover is just £90 for the year. It's coming up for renewal soon so I'll be looking to drive the cost down yet again of course. OK so I'm 48 with a full clean license (of course) and no accidents, points or convictions which helps. 9 years no claims bonus, a shame they don't allow 30 years no claim bonus.

Essentially my van is still just that a van (albeit a minibus) all of the fittings for the wheelchair passengers in transit are just hidden away under my rugs and carpets on the floor and nothing is fixed permanently in place. My furniture is all attached to the wood side panels inside using L shaped stainless steel brackets. It would take me all about 15 minutes at most to switch it back to a minibus. No need to tell the insurance company I've converted the van then.

I like this option because quite often I just feel the urge to make changes to the layout inside, ooh look what a lovely cupboard (in a skip) - I can strip that down, take it back to natural wood, sand it down, polish it up and pop it into that corner to replace that unit lol. It just makes van living more interesting.

I mean a vehicle is a vehicle is a vehicle at the end of the day. It doesn't matter what's inside it. It's got 6 wheels (in my case), brakes, a steering wheel and an engine in it. Whether it is being used as a van or a giant rabbit hutch makes not one iota of difference at the end of the day, a vehicle, whatever vehicle is just made to drive, which is what it was designed for, the risk of driving it on the road are just the same whatever configuration is inside, there is no greater risk to it being used as a van for living in. No need to tell them otherwise.

Gee

Quote from: Camper Van Travels on February 12, 2015, 12:07:13 PM
I've insured my LDV Convoy 2.5TD with Direct Dial, fully comp cover is just £90 for the year. It's coming up for renewal soon so I'll be looking to drive the cost down yet again of course. OK so I'm 48 with a full clean license (of course) and no accidents, points or convictions which helps. 9 years no claims bonus, a shame they don't allow 30 years no claim bonus.

Essentially my van is still just that a van (albeit a minibus) all of the fittings for the wheelchair passengers in transit are just hidden away under my rugs and carpets on the floor and nothing is fixed permanently in place. My furniture is all attached to the wood side panels inside using L shaped stainless steel brackets. It would take me all about 15 minutes at most to switch it back to a minibus. No need to tell the insurance company I've converted the van then.

I like this option because quite often I just feel the urge to make changes to the layout inside, ooh look what a lovely cupboard (in a skip) - I can strip that down, take it back to natural wood, sand it down, polish it up and pop it into that corner to replace that unit lol. It just makes van living more interesting.

I mean a vehicle is a vehicle is a vehicle at the end of the day. It doesn't matter what's inside it. It's got 6 wheels (in my case), brakes, a steering wheel and an engine in it. Whether it is being used as a van or a giant rabbit hutch makes not one iota of difference at the end of the day, a vehicle, whatever vehicle is just made to drive, which is what it was designed for, the risk of driving it on the road are just the same whatever configuration is inside, there is no greater risk to it being used as a van for living in. No need to tell them otherwise.

Just wish the insurance companies would see it this way. As everyone knows they'll try to find any reason not to pay out if you do need to make a claim. My insurance went from £450 as a bog standard panel van on the V5 to £200 when I converted it to a camper (or motorcaravan as DVLA now class it) on the V5. Oh and i'm 45 full clean licence no claims or anything.

When I get back from Oz in June I need to find insurance that allows me to travel/live full time in the van for Europe/Morocco and accepts self builds. Anybody?
Be happy whilst yer livin, for yer a lang time deid.....

Dudegoeswalkabout

Quote from: Gee on February 13, 2015, 05:54:45 PM
Just wish the insurance companies would see it this way. As everyone knows they'll try to find any reason not to pay out if you do need to make a claim. My insurance went from £450 as a bog standard panel van on the V5 to £200 when I converted it to a camper (or motorcaravan as DVLA now class it) on the V5. Oh and i'm 45 full clean licence no claims or anything.

When I get back from Oz in June I need to find insurance that allows me to travel/live full time in the van for Europe/Morocco and accepts self builds. Anybody?

Insurance for full time living/travelling is what I'm looking for too.  I think when the time comes I will approach Adrian flux again as they seem the most helpful! They had no problem insuring my camper as a camper even though the log book still stated that it was a panel van.

On that note, how easy/difficult was it to have your log book amended? Does it change the taxation class of the vehicle also and would it work in the same way if I were to buy a minibus and convert that?

Gee

Quote from: Dudegoeswalkabout on February 13, 2015, 06:30:22 PM
Quote from: Gee on February 13, 2015, 05:54:45 PM

Insurance for full time living/travelling is what I'm looking for too.  I think when the time comes I will approach Adrian flux again as they seem the most helpful! They had no problem insuring my camper as a camper even though the log book still stated that it was a panel van.

On that note, how easy/difficult was it to have your log book amended? Does it change the taxation class of the vehicle also and would it work in the same way if I were to buy a minibus and convert that?

Not sure about the minibus, but vans are dead easy. After I done mine I took about 10 phots of the inside and outside inc number plate, printed them sent them off to swansea with a covering letter requesting change from panel van to motorcaravan and got my new V5 back in about 2 weeks. The requirements were at least one side window, bed/bench, cupboard, table and cooking facilities (not a single burner) They had to be secured but could be removeable. I was also advised to stick some decals on the side as it must look like a "motorcaravan" and not a van with window?!? I was also given a tip to make it up inside like a camper with bedding and nik-naks on display. All worked good for me.
Be happy whilst yer livin, for yer a lang time deid.....

Tai-chi wanderer

+1 on what Gee says.
Just got mine changed no probs. if you follow the rules, and it's easier to get insurance. If you come a cropper with a conversion and it's insured as a panel van you could be in trouble. May be bad luck to get caught out, but you never know.

If you want a copy of the piccies to send ask one of us.

Dudegoeswalkabout

Ahh, that's handy to know.  It sounds a lot simpler than I'd have expected!  A copy of what pictures are required would be a great help, yes please  :)

Tai-chi wanderer

Permanent table
Gas hob/cooking gear
Water
Bed
Wardrobe
decals (opp) but good.
Must show your reg plate in one piccy
In other words looks like a camper and you could live in it. Then it's called a motor(spit)caravan. Simples.

Tai-chi wanderer

Cat flap, absolutely optional.  :D