• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Insurance

Started by Dudegoeswalkabout, February 06, 2015, 11:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudegoeswalkabout

Cracking van, looks great! Thanks for sharing the pictures with us all. I'm sure this will help a few others on here in the future too when it comes to getting the log book changed.

manxnewcomer

That's a great conversion Tai Chi.
I have a transit jumbo which i will be converting, I'm still scouring around for ideas but yours is the first i've seen that looks 'homely' as opposed to a 5 times a year weekend van.
nice job.
Meanwhile back on Planet Earth

Canopus

Tai-Chi,
I love your van just happens to be my favorite color and a perfect shade of blue.  How long have you owned it?   Are you living in Europe?

Tai-chi wanderer

Hi Canopus. Nope family bereavements and illness has kept us home last year, also we moved so we have a lo-cost base in the UK. Well i'm knocking on 70 next year and have 5 g/children to pester now.

BUT! We are oft to jolly ole Europe in May until we come back .......later in the year. Wanna re-visit Portugal, Italy and the Greek Isle's again. Chose the van cos it's nippy, easy to repair and get spares and looks sweet. We lived in France for a couple of years Spain/Portugal on n off for 10 years.
We have cabin fever now and looking to scrounge a trailer to haul along my motorcycle. Home on our backs and a Bike to have fun in the sun with, better than sex by the sound of it! lol.

Roadreggie

Well neat,best practical solution I think I've seen,I take it the table leg locating sprog removable,RR

Tai-chi wanderer

Yeah, I didn't want to drill a dirty great hole in the floor just for the table, beside it's a RWD so prop shaft in the way.

We usually eat outside, cos abroad the weather is civilised, the great golden disc blesses us a lot of the time. If it's chilly we can eat and play inside with the table in position. Can seat 4 around with ease, we always manage to meet up with peeps we like to share a wine or two with.
The leg is a Homebase chrome tube cut to height and with a rubber foot, stowed in the base box when travelling. 

Camper Van Travels

Quote from: Tai-chi wanderer on March 02, 2015, 09:26:39 AM
i'm knocking on 70 next year...

Blimey that's ancient. An' 'ere I were thinking you were either in your thirties or forties. Thanks to old codgers like you, you make me feel like a young man still, for which of course I'm eternally grateful.

Pegs it smartish.

Tai-chi wanderer

See that's why you have to practice Tai-chi and Yoga, keep all the bits flexible.

Roadreggie

I do tie shoe in the mornings,is that any good,😄

Camper Van Travels

Quote from: Tai-chi wanderer on March 03, 2015, 09:55:11 AM
See that's why you have to practice Tai-chi and Yoga, keep all the bits flexible.

I used to practice tummo meditation but unfortunately all I got for my troubles was catching my hair on fire and piles.  ;D

Roadreggie

Smashing idea your conversion ,passed it on to my bro who's about to convert his own lwb sprinter,unfortunately mine had a special lock on rear doors and no keys,being an ex 2 cell prison van(sprinter)'so I blanked rear doors off,would def do something like yours if I ever did another convert,I kept both cells but took door off one and made a small galley in it,the other I kept the door on and use it as my toilet and shower room,it tends to give it a tardis type effect ,I shut off half the sliding door and installed a large sink,will post some pics as soon as able,RR

JakeLeeYes

Hey Guys,

I have just read this:

(3) No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, in or on a
vehicle on a road any gas-fired appliance unless the vehicle is so
ventilated that-
(a) an ample supply of air is available for the operation of the
appliance; (b) the use of the appliance does not adversely affect the health
or comfort of any person using the vehicle; and
(c) any unburnt gas is safely disposed of to the outside of the
vehicle.

Which makes me ask the question, do you have to install an extractor fan or is the gas hob being near a door enough? Have any of you had to install extractor fans? I dont particularly want to but I don't know what I can get away with as i see Mike installed one.

Cheers
Jake
2003 LDV Convoy Owner. Currently turning her into a campervan!

Clayman

Thought this link along with the info already in the thread would help people.

http://www.campervanlife.com/building/legal

Camper Van Travels

There's always enough ventilation in every LDV van naturally Jake lol. Take my word for it.

As for the reference to the person or persons, I am not a person. Nor are you a person unless you choose to accept by consent your legal fiction which is what the 'person' represents in legalese.

I am a human, a man, not a person.

Yes you need insurance to drive a motor vehicle this is just commonsense but I will not be forced into accepting all of the terms of the contract automatically.

For any contract to exist and have validity there must be both parties full agreement to all of the terms of the contract otherwise no such contract exists. With so much in the small print these days saying this that and the other it's a wonder today we're allowed to fart in our own vehicles it's got that ridiculous.

Just let commonsense be your guide. What they don't know won't hurt them. Drive very carefully and you won't have an accident. I've been driving for 30 years without any accidents, points or convictions. You just read the road ahead based on the road conditions experienced at any given moment. Simple.

Honestly all of this legal claptrap in this country, yes you can do this, no you can't do that, no we don't give you permission to do something/anything, yes you can do this but only if you fully obey and comply with this that and the other condition/s...is a right friggin' load of BS designed to make the corporates money and have them believe they have more power over you.

Muttering something under my breath which I cannot write here lest I explode into words.

Clayman

It's other people's driving I worry about not my own, I was actually stopped when an oap decided to hit her brakes 10 feet away from me it was just a pity she was doing 30 at the time  ::)