• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Keeping Cool and Travelling with a dog

Started by Red, September 20, 2017, 09:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red

Hi All,

I'm considering travelling Europe next year in a camper and am hoping you can help me out with a couple of queries!

Firstly how do you keep your vans cool in the heat?
I will be trying to head to cooler climes in summer however even in winter cars get boiling when left in the sun. My main concern isn't for me so much but for my dog whom i will be travelling with. I don't plan to leave him in the vehicle for long periods but at times leaving him in the van will be unavoidable and even if not left by himself we will sometimes be driving during the day.

Secondly, does anyone else travel with their dogs, if so are there any particular logistical issues to this (i already have a Pet passport for my dog)? Are there any countries that are particularly dog friendly/unfriendly than others and has anyone encountered issues with wild dogs / wildlife when with your dogs? Any advice / useful info welcome!

Thank you  :)

James

Hey man. Me and my partner are also doing europe next year with our two dogs. An AC unit simply uses too much power unless your constantly connected to a power outlet. To combat the issue of stopping the van overheating when dogs are inside we have just went way over the top with insulation. Im hoping this will do the job!

Red

Thanks James, yeah came to the conclusion that a/c wasn't viable. Hope the insulation works for you and your dogs!  :D

Camper_Dan

Greetings!

Parking in the shade, ventilation, and a fan are the most widely used options for combating heat.  Insulation tends to trap the heat in and radiate it out long into the night.

The next power saving option that works well for van dwellers is 12v swamp coolers.  While these can be store bought, most are home made.  The  trick with swamp coolers is to blow the air in one end of the van, and out the other.  This prevents moisture buildup inside the van.  Contrary to some reports that they don't  work too well in higher humidity areas, I believe this is a problem mainly confined to units being used inside sealed houses, rather than sucking in outside air and then expelling it.  I've had good luck with mine regardless of the humidity.

Cheers!
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!

Fleeman

Quote from: Camper_Dan on September 20, 2017, 11:24:42 PMGreetings!

Parking in the shade, ventilation, and a fan are the most widely used options for combating heat.  Insulation tends to trap the heat in and radiate it out long into the night.

The next best compound bows and power saving option that works well for van dwellers is 12v swamp coolers.  While these can be store bought, most are home made.  The  trick with swamp coolers is to blow the air in one end of the van, and out the other.  This prevents moisture buildup inside the van.  Contrary to some reports that they don't  work too well in higher humidity areas, I believe this is a problem mainly confined to units being used inside sealed houses, rather than sucking in outside air and then expelling it.  I've had good luck with mine regardless of the humidity.

Cheers!

Swamp coolers really do help. I have a couple ready at all times.

rockyroad

Quote from: Red on September 20, 2017, 09:30:37 AM
Hi All,

I'm considering travelling Europe next year in a camper and am hoping you can help me out with a couple of queries!

Firstly how do you keep your vans cool in the heat?
I will be trying to head to cooler climes in summer however even in winter cars get boiling when left in the sun. My main concern isn't for me so much but for my dog whom i will be travelling with. I don't plan to leave him in the vehicle for long periods but at times leaving him in the van will be unavoidable and even if not left by himself we will sometimes be driving during the day.

Secondly, does anyone else travel with their dogs, if so are there any particular logistical issues to this (i already have a Pet passport for my dog)? Are there any countries that are particularly dog friendly/unfriendly than others and has anyone encountered issues with wild dogs / wildlife when with your dogs? Any advice / useful info welcome!

Thank you  :)

Hiya, Red!

I have lots of experience of this with my two collies.
Insulating the van, inside, is a good step, as is having a white van to reflect as much heat as possible.
A spinny fan fitted to the top of the van will help on windy days, or while driving to circulate the air.

On days up to 28 degrees, the van is fine (in that it doesn't get above 35 inside) above 36 degrees is the danger zone, and you really don't want your pooches in that temperature, as that's when it starts to cause damage.
In those conditions – find shade under a tree, and park there.

Also get a silver reflective windows shade for the front, the amount of heat perpetuated by the windscreen, and then soaked up by dark dash and seats is crazy. Big ones. All the way around.
Get a thermometer, and check your max temperatures often – so you have an idea of what is safe, and what is comfortable for your dogs.

For mine, if it's a hot day – they'll stay at home now. There's no point in risking it.
VW California Campervan