• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

On the road recycling

Started by Roadreggie, March 01, 2015, 11:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadreggie

Must admit I'm a bit lazy when it comes to recycling my rubbish when in van which tends to be more all less all the time as that's where I live lol,I should really get into the habit of washing my tin cans yeah another lazy eating scenario ,just a lot easier when on own and spend a lot time in lay-bys ,bins tend to be the norm,I do try to avoid all the wrappings involved but again not allways easy,how do any of you deal with this prob,the other thing was the amount of rubbish that is actually dumped in and around lay-bys is disgusting,during my river stays we actually started cleaning the banks up more for animal welfare ,feel like should be doing the same on the roadside,but at the end of the day this really the councils prob,there is a keep Britain tidy ( the big clean up website) and they will actually send out heavy duty bin bags , for a communal tidy up telling them what you actually found and naming and shaming the manufactures packaging involved,good idea,anyway at least I do put my crap in bins provided' it just wondered if anyone has ideas on which foods to get that involve less waste,bearing in mind the limited cooking facilities in a small  vantrav.RR

Tai-chi wanderer

We use s/market bags for rubbish then pop them in a street bin, don't let it build up, is the criteria.
Abroad there are always large street wheelie bins for communal use. Why are they always more civilized than us?

Roadreggie

Yeah should be like that here true enough,most laybye ones I come across are full to brim,yeah that's what I normally do get rid of it before it builds up,don't take long for tins to smell,esp in the summer,waters allways at a premium ,and if are washed out don't take long for sink drain to chuck up,esp when driving and the draught blows up the pipe lol,no easy solution I suppose just interesting to see how other van folk get on RR

Camper Van Travels

Personally I never quite understood the attraction of parking in lay-by's myself only they typically always look a bit dirty and untidy. Fair enough on a long journey but otherwise why stay in one when you can be out in the middle of some beautiful countryside?

I can't stand rubbish lying about either and since it only takes two minutes to do, I'll often just whack on a pair of gardening gloves and pick the rubbish up and chuck it all in the nearest bin where it belongs. Someone's got to do it and that person might as well be me if I'm there at the time. What is the point in leaving it to somebody else to do it? That's what everyone thinks, which is why so many parking spots look a right bloomin' mess.

Plus when you do this, and other locals notice how much you care, it leaves a good impression in their mind that not all travelers (as they perceive us) are filthy dirty animals living on the road.

Roadreggie

Unfortunately due to the nature of me work I park as near as poss to save fuel costs so ultimatly find laybyes my only option,yeah I do sometimes do a bit of clearing if the laybye bin has nuff room,it can be interesting sometimes as I put one those camera traps out to see what wildlife turns up overnite,normally the ubiquitous foxes n rats n rabbits,n the odd stoat,

Camper Van Travels

Ah that's understandable then. I work from inside my van so pretty much I only need to get near to a town or village sometimes for the Internet connection (dongle). This is my business website (which will be having some maintenance tonight as I knock out a lot of the pages and posts in a repositioning exercise) http://whooshhh.com

Roadreggie

Cool,way to go workin from your van,RR

Roadreggie

Meant to say before that I haven't yet caught anyone on camera for either fly tipping or just generally chucking crap out,it's normally positioned into the trees and quite low,but maybe I could work for the council as a undercover crap chuckerouterer spy heehee,that be ok till they find out the culprits that is,ha,RR

largejavelin

Quote from: Camper Van Travels on March 01, 2015, 06:59:48 PMAh that's understandable then. I work from inside my van so pretty much I only need to get near to a town or village sometimes for the Internet connection (dongle). This is my business website (which will be having some maintenance tonight as I knock out a lot of the pages and posts in a repositioning exercise) penalty kick online
There are quite a few interesting business stories here.