• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Question about electric heating

Started by Vantwat, November 09, 2015, 07:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantwat

I've been reading a lot of people advocating using a log burner,personally I'd love one but is there any reason if I get solar panels why I can't just get a small electric heater and run it off the solar panels?

scottdimelow

An electric heater would drain your batteries to quickly, they are extremely power hungry.

If you had a 1000w heater, and a 250w solar panel. You'd need 4 hours worth of sunlight to run the heater for 1 hour. And that doesn't take into account losses from the efficiency of batteries, solar panel and inverter.

They're just not a viable option for solar, you could use one if you went on campsites and had a hook up.

A tiny rocket stove is what I plan to install. I'm going to make it, rocket stoves are highly efficient and can be made to be self-feeding. All I intend to use as fuel is scavenged twigs, logs etc.

Roman

Will you please post pictures of the rocket stove, when done.

scottdimelow

Absolutely, I've scoured youtube but there's nothing how I'd like mine to be. I'm just sticking to the basic principles of a rocket stove and hoping for the best :)