• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

6-way water system even pull

Started by cfichter, January 18, 2019, 10:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cfichter

Hi folks - new to the forum.

I'm putting together plans for a diy campervan, and I've been weighing water tank with external tank fill adapter, or going with independent water jugs like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Aqua-Tainer-Gallon-Container/dp/B001QC31G6/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1C3Q4DLKLEE27&keywords=7+gallon+water+container&qid=1547743228&sprefix=7+gallon+water%2Caps%2C197&sr=8-5

I'm leaning toward the latter for a number of reasons - primarily due to flexibility. If I'm in a location where not easy to drive van up to water source, I can more easily pull out each jug and fill independently.

However - I want to have my pump pull from all six evenly - so I don't have to crawl under and move a single intake for the pump == so all six would deplete more or less evenly, and when I refill I do it once for all six.

Has anyone done something like this?  What kind of device would I need in addition to a pump? (I will have an accumulater, but don't think that impacts this design issue at all).  Is there such a thing as like a 6-way hose adapter? That will make it really simple but I've been googling and can't find anything like this. 

Camper_Dan

Greetings and Welcome!

I think you're over thinking, and over complicating something that is best kept simple and trouble free.

If you want RV type systems, it's usually a much better idea to just buy an RV. (Factory camper vans included.)  With DIY camper vans, most of us find that simpler and cheaper is better in the long run.

Power frugal, and water frugal is much better than more wasteful schemes.  Every bit of complexity will come back and bite you later.  The old 1960's era VW Westfalia's got it right, simple but fully functional, and 50+ years later are still fully functional, even though they have been used and abused for 50+ years.  Newer isn't always better.  The more experienced I get, the more the KISS principal makes sense. (Keep It Stupidly Simple)

14 gallons of water, in 2x 7 gallon plastic jerry can type jugs, is plenty of water for me for 2 weeks even with a shower every day.  My water systems require no power or plumbing that can freeze, yet are fully fuctional and easy to fill/empty.  I can take a jug to the water source for filling.  If your jugs were connected as you're suggesting, this would likely be impossible without leaking water in the process...

What about your grey water?  Capacity should be at least 1.5 times as large as your fresh water storage.  Quantities of more than gallon or two are likely to require a dump station which greatly complicates your life and adds expenses.  Even if you only need to dump every week or two, it's not uncommon for the nearest dump station to be 50+ miles away.  Very inconvenient.

Cheers!
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!

cfichter

Thanks! I do appreciate the sentiment.
I probably should have given a bit more background wrt my plans.  I'm interested in a longer-term boon docking setup, and I go to very remote, very dry locations often deep in high desert. So more water would be required.

I'm fortunate that expense is less an issue for me, I want something very functional and flexible. I've researched extensively the RV market, and trailers, and even considered doing a diy toy hauler or something for my needs. I believe I've settled on a Promaster diy build.

Yes on grey water, have a plan. I'm just trying to think about how I could get an even pull across multiple small tanks. Many of the national parks I've been to have sort of awkward water sources (one of my favorite is Great Basin in Northern Nevada - plenty of fresh water even at 10,000 feet, but not amenable to driving up - you have to walk some distance to get to the pumps).

thx

Camper_Dan

Quote from: cfichter on January 19, 2019, 04:07:49 PM
Yes on grey water, have a plan. I'm just trying to think about how I could get an even pull across multiple small tanks. Many of the national parks I've been to have sort of awkward water sources (one of my favorite is Great Basin in Northern Nevada - plenty of fresh water even at 10,000 feet, but not amenable to driving up - you have to walk some distance to get to the pumps).

Greetings!

I usually get my water from city parks, so it's a walk to a water fountain as well.  That's why I like my individual 7 gallon containers.  I have a folding luggage dolly that I put them on to transport them.  One or two at a time, and on wheels is manageable.  It's easy enough to just switch my single hose from one to another, then simply fill the empties when convenient.

For backroad boondocking, I had the best luck with Class C's with duallies.  Those suckers would go anywhere. 

Cheers!

Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!