• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Affordable lithium batteries from Winston battery

Started by peeela, December 04, 2017, 11:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peeela

Has anyone used Winston Lithium batteries in A van? Are they any good? Why wouldn't they be suitable for solar setups?

I came across them here while looking for used hybrid car batteries.

They come in a great range of Ah sizes, are LiFePO4 type cells (Lithium Iron Phosphate) and are really quite small and light. Most of all the are only 15% of the cost of premium lithium batteries. I must be missing something?

http://www.evworks.com.au/battery-systems/

Prices in AUD:

3.2V
1000Ah = $1800
700Ah = $1260
400Ah = $720
300Ah = $540
200Ah = $360
160Ah = $288
90Ah = $162
60Ah = $108
40Ah = $72

12V
90Ah = $672
60Ah = $448
40Ah = $448

In the 3.2V range, I was wondering if connecting 4 together to make 12V would work? Do I need a special solar charge controller?

I wanted to share and hear the pro's and con's from those who know more about this than I do, or if you've installed them, how well have they worked for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peeela

My guess is, if you have calculated your system at 12V, I'm guessing you'll need to divide the Ah/3.2V to get a relative value.

e.g.
160Ah/3.2V ~= 50Ah or
160Ah @ 3.2V x 4 ~= 12.8V

So there's that downside of choosing 3.2V for a 12V system.

If any of this calc is incorrect, apologies, just learning.

Camper_Dan

I just can't justify the cost or fire dangers/explosions of lithium batteries, or even the cost of non lithium new batteries of any type.  My starter battery is on year six, and my house battery is on year seven.  Both are marine deep cycle batteries, bought at two different junkyards for under $20 each.

The lifespan problem I was having with my house batteries was solved when I ditched solar and went with charging while driving, or via a generator if I'm boondocking for a prolonged length of time.  Solar was killing my $350 each batteries within about a year.

After my 5th 12v compressor fridge died, I did not replace it, and went back to a much more reliable ice chest.  It costs me a dollar or two per week for a big block of ice.  Ditching the fridge cut my power needs dramatically, and picking up ice once a week when I go shopping anyway is no extra hassle.  For extended outings, I just pick up dry ice so I'll have both a fridge and a freezer, and I can stay out for 2-3 weeks between grocery and/or ice runs.

I enjoy my power a lot, it enables my laptop for internet & TV, lights, a fan, and my 12v air conditioner in the summer, and my 12v electric blanket in the winter, but I am also a firm believer in having the ability to stay comfortable in the event that your power system fails.  I have kerosene powered heating, cooking, and lighting which I use year round, so even if my power failed, it would only be a minor inconvenience.

When I had solar,  I spent over half my time without power.  Since ditching solar, I have never been without power, but being prepared is always a good thing.
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!

peeela

Explosive risk? Jumping at shadows a bit I think. It's like saying I won't fly in an airplane because not everyone has landed safely. 99.9% of the time they land without incident. 5 iphones i've had, never had one explode in my pocket in over 10 years.

I agree on the new battery thing. Did you have to recondition your junkyard deep-cycle agm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camper_Dan

Re:   Lithium Batteries

I don't think I would categorize it as jumping at shadows...  I tend to listen to the news daily, and for over a year now, every couple of days there are reports of some product with lithium batteries either exploding or catching fire for no apparent reason.  This is across a very large assortment of products, that the only thing they have in common is lithium batteries, and not from a single manufacturer either.  People's houses have been burned down by these things, and lives lost.

My point is that as long as there are safer alternatives, or they get their act together and fix the problems, is it worth the risk?  I don't think it is.

Re: Junkyard batteries

No reconditioning necessary, just hook em up and go.  I'm really not sure whether the ones I have are AGM or not, but they are the marine deep cycle maintenance free type.
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!