• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

disabling central locking

Started by Antje, March 20, 2015, 03:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antje

I would appreciate some advice on how to disable to central locking function for the sliding door and rear doors on my Ford Transit campervan.    I wish to do this for security reasons, so that the rear doors and side door remain locked when I unlock the drivers side to get in.   Many thanks, Antje

Tai-chi wanderer

Hi and welcome Antje, asked about this myself as I have a Transit with walk thru. Garage told me they are a bugger to work with, the transmitter is buried deep in the doors, I've lined all mine and carpeted ...bugga.
You can either go delivery man style and get slam locks fitted, £60 for two. They lock as you leave the cab, drawback you need your keys in your pocket ... always. Don't ask how I know.
The other way is to fit internal locks or drop bolts on the rear and side doors, this I have done. Now if we leave the van the only keyed doors are the front & passenger.

I'm sure Mark will be along in a minute and tell you another way, piece of wire, chain. lol. ::)

Camper Van Travels

Chuckling...

Why not just take the fuse out hence disabling the central locking? Would that work? I'm not familiar with Ford Transits being an LDV guy myself so just plucked the first answer that flew into my noggin.

Tai-chi wanderer

Then if you do want to lock all the doors on the key the side slider and rear won't work, only on the key. No other way to lock them, easy way is just to put internal bolts in then if you need all locked you do it. Belt n braces.
Van doors are so easy to open anyway, I just beefed mine up.

Happy Camper

On some vans there are metal buttons in the door and the door frame.  These are the electrical connections to the doors.  A piece of tape over them will disable the electrical connection to the door.

Antje

a big 'thank you' to everyone for your comments.  I already have  bolts fitted to the rear and side doors and this will have to do.  I will see if there are metal buttons as mentioned by Happy Camper - would be great if a piece of tape would do it!!! 

Tai-chi wanderer

Yeah, on the side slider there are metal contacts that touch the pillar as you close, never tried the 'Happy Camper' suggestion. Will do soon, cheers Buddy.

oddballdave

I have an 02 plate Transit.
The remote locking does not work because:
One of the wires is broken.
The receiver is damaged.
The fuse is blown
The sun is in the sky.
Or some other completely random excuse.

So if I lock the drivers door (the only one with a keyhole).
The central locking will lock every door.

To open the van, I have to use the key in the drivers door.
This opens the two front doors, but not the rear or side doors.

I have to use the 'reset your remote' trick to actually unlock the back of the van.
Chipped key in to the ignition and switch on and off rapidly several times until the locks cycle through and you hear the back doors unlocking.

So the simple answer to your situation is use the key to lock/unlock the doors.

8)

Tai-chi wanderer

Pugwash

On my maxus, there was an electrical connector to the rear lock hidden behind the inside handle. I disconnected this so only the button by the window can lock/unlock mine.
Pro Coffee Drinker