• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

FORD E350 Van Engine sizes mountain capabilities.

Started by WheresCarl, September 12, 2018, 07:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WheresCarl

Im buying a Ford E250/350 Extended Cargo Van

-Will install a 24' High Top
-Will Install a 4x4 system

What size motor do i need for getting through mountains and back trails. (no rock climbing)
-I will not be towing

i feel the 5.4 will not be powerful enough

6.8L V10?
or
6.0L Diesel?

Will be living in Van full time and working a pop up shop all around the US and Canada and hope to explore the NorthWest territories.

Can we discuss these two motors and how im gonna be driving alot of miles and how the maintenance is on these motors? And long term durability?

Camper_Dan

Greetings  & Welcome!

Cargo Van: Window vans make better campers, and they're cheaper to convert.

24" high top:  Will that be high enough to stand in, after the interior is added?

Engines: 5.4l is the best of those listed.  Gearing is more important than engine size.

4x4: For most people the drawbacks outweigh any positives.

Diesels: Diesels typically cost 2-3x as much to own and operate as a gas engine in the USA, and finding mechanics can be much more difficult.

A ground anchor and a portable winch has successfully got me out of everything I've managed to get myself into, and that's without 4x4.  I've pulled countless 4x4's out with it as well.

I've got extended Doddge van with a 318 engine.  It handles back roads and steep mountain driving just fine, with only 2WD, it has gotten through where 4x4's got stuck, and the places I did get stuck, other 4x4's were already stuck.  I'd stick with good tires and posi-trac if it were me.  I don't even mess with chains or tire traction bars.  I do keep a pair of tire traction mats.  4x4's just dig you in deeper.  In my humble opinion, driving technique is worth far more than 4x4, deep enough mud, sand, or snow, ONLY a winch is getting you out.  There are also techniques to use your tires as a winch.

Cheers!
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!