• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Hotwater Supply, would this be an economical idea?

Started by Monnty, March 03, 2018, 10:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monnty

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ariston-undersink-water-heater-2kw-15ltr/9720g

Just starting out on the conversion journey and gathering a few ideas as I insulate my lwb transit.
Water and air heating appear to be the most troublesome ( expensive) issues I am up against at the moment. I was thinking this was a good idea for the sink and shower hot water. Any thoughts?

Camper_Dan

Greetings & Welcome!

Electricity is never a good choice in a camper van for anything having to do with heating, cooking, or refrigeration.

The unit you linked to would require shore power or a generator.  It's also not energy efficient to keep water when it isn't being used. Propane tankless units are about the same price, and only run when you're using hot water.

I use 3 different methods for hot water myself.  First is sun heated hot water, my 7 gallon water jugs are painted black, and can be placed in the sun for hot water.  Second, I just use a tea kettle on my camp stove.  Third I have a fire coil, which can be used on top of my stove or heater, or even in a campfire.  It will recycle the water, heating it as it goes, to and from one of my 7 gallon water jugs.  The water can be heated as much or as little as you want.

Between these methods, I have all the hot water I want, both day and night, without the need of a dedicated water heater, or shore power.

If my 7 gallon water jug is full, I can take half hour long shower with the water flowing continuously.  I take short showers daily, then about once a week, I'll take a long luxurious shower.

Good Luck & keep us posted!
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!