• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Installing bed, cupboard or anything. How to attach it?

Started by Naxunukuab, February 24, 2016, 08:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naxunukuab

Hey everyone,

I'm from germany and I'm thinking of doing my own van build :) I am currently in the phase of planning and have a pretty rare question, I think:
How actually do you attach the wood of the bed or cupboards in your van? I mean, I understand that this can be done with screws, but does it actually hold up? For example, if I want to attach the back of my cupboard to the van wall I would have to fix it on the plywood and the underlying insulation, because I can't screw through the actual metal wall of the van, right? I know that the insulation and (in my case like in mike's) the plywood is fixed to the metal beams of the van. Still, in my eyes that would seem to be a little wobbly and not safe in case of a heavy braking.
The same goes for attaching things onto the floor. I can't really screw through the whole floor, or do I?

Greetings from germany,
Max

Diaryofavanman

On the roof supports before you clad with wood you can feed through bolts that face inwards, from then you can bolt your cupboards to the van quite solid :) I will take a photo tomorrow and post it on here to show you :) foor the bed and the rest that sits on the floor, screwwing into the wood you have laid down on the floor is perfectly fine!

Naxunukuab

Thank you very much for the information 😊 I'm looking forward to the pictures! 😊😊
Greetings
Max

kryten

You can also use (or double up with) Sikaflex. This is a contact adhesive 7 sealant used a lot for motorhomes & caravans and once it's stuck then it is stuck. Sikaflex products are expensive but well worth the expense, especially if your attaching solar panels to your roof. Diaryofavanman's suggestion of bolts would be a better option if only using one method for attaching cupboards to the roof.