• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

insulating a panelled van

Started by richard, October 26, 2016, 09:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard

Ok this might be a bit of a weird one but i need to insulate my van after the ply boards are on. now the reason for this is I have bought a van that has already been boarded out and then lined with fibreglass so there is no way of getting them out without cutting them out. I do still need to make a few holes in the van like for a window and some other things which would give me a little access, so should i just try to push sheets of wool that i cut into where i can. thanks for any help

NickJ83

Is there space behind the ply boards?

If there is a gap you could look at injecting foam insulation via some drilled holes.

Putting insulation over the boards I'd imagine would lose a lot of space and you also risk condensation on the steel

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

richard

yes there is a gap in between the van and the boards. I think filling it with expansing foam will cause more problems because some parts will have gaps and then others will have too much

NickJ83

Quote from: richard on October 26, 2016, 09:55:45 PM
yes there is a gap in between the van and the boards. I think filling it with expansing foam will cause more problems because some parts will have gaps and then others will have too much
If you where to drill lots of holes i recon you'd get a good covering.

Alternatively  you could just put double sided foil insulation over the outside of the boards. Its about 8mm thick but if i remember rightly its the equivalent to 25mm or 50mm foam insulation. I cant quite remember which.

I'm about to do mine in the foil stuff.
Quote from: NickJ83 on October 26, 2016, 09:49:06 PM
Is there space behind the ply boards?

If there is a gap you could look at injecting foam insulation via some drilled holes.

Putting insulation over the boards I'd imagine would lose a lot of space and you also risk condensation on the steel