• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Insulation and sound proofing

Started by darrenms, July 28, 2016, 12:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrenms

Hello folks,

New to here and was wondering if anyone would mind sharing their thoughts. I'm part way through the conversationprocess on a Renault Trafic and have a dilemma.

I have become paranoid/obsessed with reducing the in cab road noise that transmits from the rear now that the bulkhead has gone. So to that end I have gone round the side panels and roof with 2mm silent coat, then 50/25mm celotex (as much as can be fitted in large ish pieces without squeaking), then a layer of foil bubble wrap stuff, ply lining on top of this and then the carpet. The floor has has had a 8mm vinyl sound barrier underneath the ply floor. Now, I have only completed the drivers side fully, the passenger side still needs the carpet and the roof needs the ply and carpet (but does have silent coat).

I drove this the other day and was mildly disappointed with the road noise from the rear. Before I go any further and as I have yet to complete the passage side rear and roof does folk think this will reduce the road noise (a fair bit does seem to eminate from the roof) or should more be done.

Many thanks

Regards

kryten

Finish your insulation and see what it sounds like. You could always put in a false bulkhead with a door to give you access between the cab and the living area.

cooperdjm

This stuff turned my van from Tin Can to...well...not. Sticky back rubber sound deadening fastasticness, along with 3/4" Rigid Insulation and interior wall. It was great.

Camper_Dan

Quote from: cooperdjm on December 03, 2016, 03:15:23 AM
This stuff turned my van from Tin Can to...well...not. Sticky back rubber sound deadening fastasticness, along with 3/4" Rigid Insulation and interior wall. It was great.

Telling us what it actually is might help...
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!

Dion Jones

V_Pip

Hi,

I am in the process of converting a Toyota Hiace and have also become a bit obsessed with sound proofing.

I have gone for high density foam underlay (carpet store) which I had stuck to the floor and over the wheel arches. I took off door trim and stuck 50mm polystyrene foam in gaps and filled in gaps with expanding foam. On top of the foam I have a plywood floor and I have built sealed boxes to go over the wheel arches which double up as benches.

The engine is located under neath the seats so there is a ledge between the front and the back, I built a box to go over this area which helps to keep the engine noise down. I also packed some spare foam in to the area around my air intake as is quite noisy. My rear door seal was wrecked when I bought then van, I picked up a second hand one and putting this in has really helped with noise too.

This has greatly reduced engine noise.

I think I will try and line the inside of the engine bay, externally between the van floor and exhaust and put sound absorbing foam on the roof to see if this also helps.

meanderingexplorers.com

Here's an easy to read article on "Sound Dampening Materials Research", specifically targeted towards van sound dampening, that should help with your conundrum: https://meanderingexplorers.com/sound-dampening-materials-research/.

Camper_Dan

Greetings!

Wow, a really in depth article there!  Sound deadening was a huge problem for me in a cargo van.  All of my other vans and motorhomes were very quiet going down the road.  I never was able to duplicate the ride, handling, or quietness of my other campers with that cargo van. 

Comfort is huge when living in a vehicle, and comfort while driving is equally as important to me.  I hate road noise probably worst of all.  Outside noise while camping doesn't seem to bother me as much as long as I can see what's going on and determine whether it's a threat or not.

I haven't fully explored your site yet, so I don't know your location, but I would love to do a drive comparison of our vans.  I've seen varying reviews on the various sound dampening methods, and something that really works and holds up long term would be welcomed by many.

One of the things that is severely lacking in the van dwelling community is people with long term experience in DIY campers.  Most seem to give up on it fairly quickly, change vehicles often, or wind up in a factory camper.  While there are many factors involved, I think the two major factors for failure are lack of income, and the quality or lack of quality, in their camper van builds.  Yet even though their builds were absolute failures, their "How To" directions seem to remain online forever.  That can make things really difficult for newbies.

I don't know what your plans are, but I'm wishing you a lot of long term success, and hope you will become a seasoned veteran that can offer newbies good sound advice in the future.  I'm a senior, and my days are numbered, but I've helped may people over the course of many years.  With housing costs rising faster than incomes, even more people are going to be turning to alternative lifestyles, and the need for truly helpful people will increase exponentially.  It could even turn into extra income for you if you stick with it.

Best wishes always, and keep us posted!

Cheers!
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!