• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Interior space (which van?)

Started by vtwinracer1, April 20, 2016, 12:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtwinracer1

I've yet to decide on a base van to purchase. My conditional requirements are thus:
- high roof to allow standing room
- wide enough to accommodate a bed in an east-west position

I guess I ultimately have two questions.
1. What do you guys recommend for a base van?
2. According to Mike's interior installation, how much internal van width is sacrificed in order to install the sweet timber internal facade? (I'm trying to ascertain how plausible the east-west bed is.)

Thanks all. You all rock.

kryten

2 things come to mind regarding your bed question.

1. an East/West bed will depend on which way you park your van, so do you mean across the back or along one side?

2. How tall are you. If you're small then a bed across the back will be long enough.

As for which van then transits are common & cheap to maintain but I would for Sprinter.

For the interior, go to B&Q or look on their website at the type of panel you want and check the thickness. I think the panels you are referring to are 7.5mm thick. Your insulation will go in between the outer skin and ribs so you won't lose any internal width with the insulation. You also have batons to consider which will probably be 16.5mm each side

vtwinracer1

Thanks Kryten

Yes, by east-west, I mean the configuration of the van. North-south is front to back, east-west is side to side. So I'd like the bed to be affixed to the rear of my van, so that my arms (as I lie down) will be against the rear doors.

I'm worried about mechanical maintenance costs of Mercs in Oz. They ain't cheap. I know that Transits are not so reliable, but I'm hoping it'll be easier/cheaper to maintain. Especially given that the Transits are not turbocharged.

I assume that B&Q is a hardware store or something?? We don't have them here in Oz. But your point stands. If I'm only losing a few mm for the panels, then this will be a cinch. I'll be able to get my space saving bed easily. Noice one!

=D

Roman

This link may be of some use.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu7uRse3hi0
The Fuso Cantor are known to be reliable, (the Cantor is replacing the Vario in Europe) & more common in Oz, from 3.5t with a narrow body up to 7.5t wide body.

Hope this helps

kryten

Quote from: vtwinracer1 on April 22, 2016, 02:39:50 AM
Thanks Kryten

Yes, by east-west, I mean the configuration of the van. North-south is front to back, east-west is side to side. So I'd like the bed to be affixed to the rear of my van, so that my arms (as I lie down) will be against the rear doors.

I'm worried about mechanical maintenance costs of Mercs in Oz. They ain't cheap. I know that Transits are not so reliable, but I'm hoping it'll be easier/cheaper to maintain. Especially given that the Transits are not turbocharged.

I assume that B&Q is a hardware store or something?? We don't have them here in Oz. But your point stands. If I'm only losing a few mm for the panels, then this will be a cinch. I'll be able to get my space saving bed easily. Noice one!

=D

I didn't know you were from down under but glad that you found my post useful. If you don't mind getting your fingers dirty then a Transit would be ideal and you'll learn new skills maintaining the van.

Transits in the UK are the most common van and do get a fair but of abuse from the tradesmen/women/persons that use them so worth giving any possible purchase a good going over to check for signs of serious rust and neglect.

vtwinracer1

Quote from: Roman on April 22, 2016, 05:32:52 PM
The Fuso Cantor are known to be reliable, (the Cantor is replacing the Vario in Europe) & more common in Oz, from 3.5t with a narrow body up to 7.5t wide body.

Thanks Roman. Though I just realised as I read your post that another requirement I have is that it be a van (a big van) in which I can move from the driver's seat into the rear. I'm going to be living in suburban streets, and I need to be a little more discreet than hopping in and out of a side or rear door.

Good idea anyhow. Though just not in my ideals.

Quote from: kryten on April 22, 2016, 10:27:28 PM
Transits in the UK are the most common van and do get a fair but of abuse from the tradesmen/women/persons that use them so worth giving any possible purchase a good going over to check for signs of serious rust and neglect.

Kryten, I think you've helped sell the idea to me. I do want to learn more about basic mechanics. So whilst probably stressful and cumbersome, I think the lessons from the Transit will be of benefit. And yes, I'll go over it with the proverbial fine toothed comb.

tom142

Hi, i have a FIAT Ducato MWB Medium height variant.  I have self built the 'camper' bit inside, and after much measuring and drawing up plans i went for the raised bed across the back of the van.  I am only 170cms tall so that is a bonus haha.