• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Looking For A Car Camper Recommendation.

Started by Bwood, March 22, 2018, 11:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bwood

Hi all,

I'm looking to do a bit of traveling around Europe this summer and am looking to buy a car I can some what convert and make it comfortable enough to sleep in aswell as create a bit of storage space. I'll also be using it as my day to day car whilst not travelling.

I currently own a Ford Focus, which I don't think will be any where near big enough, so I've been looking at either a used Ford Galaxy, or a Chrysler Grand Voyager. I believe I won't need to remove the back seats of either, as they both have foldable tuck in seats. I like the fact that the Grand Voyager has tinted windows for more privacy, but I've heard they're not all that reliable of a car compared to the Ford Galaxy, the Galaxy also appears to have better Mpg.

I've only been driving for just over a year and have never drove on the right side of the road before, so I'm a bit hesitant on such large cars.

So basically I'm after opinions if anybody has had any kind of experience with either, or if anybody has a completely different suggestion.

I'm not looking to spend any more than about £2,000-£3000, so I'll be looking at used with quiet high milage.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Ben

Camper_Dan

Greetings & Welcome!

I'm in the USA and some makes/models have different names here than they do there.  I believe you are talking about mini vans.  Engines & fuel consumptions are also different here.  One thing is for sure though, the bigger the van, the more comfortable it will be to live in.  I recommend something big enough to have your own kitchen & toilet, and even an optional shower. 

I would start by comparing gas mileages between mini vans and full size vans.  If the fuel consumption is similar, I'd go with a bigger one.  Take lots of different ones for a test drive, some may drive better than others, or fit you better.  The controls on some are more convenient than others, and the views of surrounding traffic can vary as well.  Check with your insurance company before purchase to find out if you can easily insure your choice, and the price.

Once you think you've found the right van at the right price, take it to a reliable mechanic for a pre purchase inspection.  That can help prevent you from getting a lemon.  Ask the mechanic about known issues with that make and model while you're there.  This can help you make an informed decision.

In the USA, Focus's come in hatchbacks and wagons.  If you will be traveling alone, you might be able to remove the passenger seat and have a long enough space on that side for a bed, and the other side could be used for storage.  I you like your Focus there are many ways to keep it and make it work.  There are of course normal camping tents and cots, but there's roof top tents too.  Any camping kitchen, toilet, & shower schemes should be workable.

You have many choices available to you, and many of them can be very cheap.  Check out rentals too, they may wind up cheaper than buying one.

Cheers!
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!

Barretx

I like the story that you bring to talk very much. Because it made me find more information to talk to you.