• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Looking for a Van (I have no idea what I'm doing!)

Started by Paul In The Hat, February 25, 2015, 05:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul In The Hat

Hey, I'm looking for a van but have no idea how to tell what a "good" offer is.

I want to get an LDV convoy, because I don't have time to do the research myself and I trust Mike's judgement.
My plan is to get an already converted campervan first, then convert it myself later on in the year when I've got some experience travelling and more of an idea of what I'd like.

What do I look for in a used LDV convoy campervan?
What are the things to look out for?

This is an ad I'm looking at. Opinions?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/ldv-convoy-long-wheel-base.-lovely-conversion.-/1101462628

treevorb

The thing I like about Convoys is the simplicity, I don't think there is anything I couldn't fix if it went wrong.
AAAAAAnd the only problem apart from the usual general mtc things I have had is the battery in the immobiliser key went, try finding one of them in the wilds of Croatia.
Do the belts waterpump and brakes if needed and you will have a reliable old bus and get years of use if you keep on top of it.
Best of luck
T
Facebook
The Euro Bimble

Tai-chi wanderer

2 penny worth, seems a bit pricey. Go and have a look, especially under the bonnet and chassis, take a mate I would say.

Camper Van Travels

I agree with Tai-Chi, given the asking price I would expect for the money a younger van with less miles on it.

Mine for example is the same as the one you linked to - P-Reg, 74,000 miles, 12 months MOT when I bought her albeit not converted.

Find out what engine is in her, if it's the Ford Transit 2.5TD you'll make some money back on the economy but as she is, I would say flash £1,300 at most under their noses (given the condition of it) and see if they bite. Tell them they can keep the awning and everything else apart from the essentials.

Here are the Sold listings on eBay close to Bristol to give you an idea only of what you can expect to pay and what to expect for the money:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cars-Motorcycles-Vehicles-/9800/i.html?_from=R40&ghostText=&_sop=7&_clu=2&_fcid=3&_localstpos=BS8+2BJ&_stpos=BS8+2BJ&gbr=1&_nkw=ldv+convoy&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

Btw do make sure you ask of anyone selling an LDV Convoy when the kingpins were last replaced. At the very least ask them how often they greased the kingpins (once every 8 weeks is a good answer).

To check that the Kingpins are OK on any LDV Convoy jack up the front end until the tyre/s are 3/4"-1" off the ground, then put a crowbar under each tyre and lift the crowbar upwards. If the wheel is seen to move up and down even slightly there's a good chance the kingpin has gone (worn). It's an absolute bitch to replace them. You'll be looking at about £200-250 for each side depending on the labour cost per hour.

Also look out for rust underneath, the less rust obviously the better. Check the footwells too for any signs of rust.

If taking one for a test drive the first thing you'll undoubtedly notice is the sloppy steering - this is normal on these vans, you do get used to it. In other words, it's not uncommon driving along for your hands and arms to be constantly moving from side to side which is rather good fun when it's windy as it certainly keeps you awake on a long journey. (If the steering wheel moves whilst driving from the upright position to approximately 2 o'clock without changing the direction of the van at all lol don't worry about it).

There are a few different engines on the LDV Convoy vans too.

The bog standard Ford Transit 2.5TD engine.

The banana engine is another one 2.5Di (named after the exhaust manifold ).

The duratorq engine is another (2.4)

And mine came with the Peugeot 2.5TD ET70 engine in her (can be more difficult to find parts for). Mine does about 25mpg around town and 33-35mpg on a good run.

My last LDV Convoy camper van had the bog standard 2.5TD Ford Transit engine in her, as slow as an old tractor but very good fuel economy, you can expect 30mpg around town, 35mpg on a medium run and if you stick to 52mph precisely, she'll return 48mpg. (Driving back from the north of Scotland to west Cornwall - I got back here on one tank of diesel (15.4 gallon tank - 750 miles).

Tai-chi wanderer

Got mine for £1700. Nice 2.4, stripped out and insulated for another £300. Then you can do what you like to it, getting someone else's conversion can be a nightmare.

Hamartea

Wow, that's very nice for £1700. Is it tall enough for you to stand up in?

Tai-chi wanderer

I'm 5.7 so just, remember it's a RWD, so you lose height. Most minibuses are RWD, I like it cos you can roll underneath for oil changes and maintenance. It's also got a nicer look I think.