• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Mike: Van build changes in hindsight

Started by Chip, February 03, 2015, 06:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chip

Hi Mike hope you can answer this. Been following your great blog for awhile now, mostly your van build articles. I think your van has got to be one of the best conversions I've seen on the net.

I wanted to ask, in hindsight, if there's anything you would of done differently with regards to your van? For instance would of you still of built the shower which I'm sure must take up quite some room in a small van and use up loads of water? How about the gas boiler, if you didn't install the shower do you think you could live without instant hot water?

Tai-chi wanderer

I have now build 5 vans from scratch and sold them on at different times in my life. Earlier mistakes were the worst , custom flimsies. Three which I owned and quickly sold on. Never built for proper travelers, just part timers.

Each time you do a build you change the idea of the vehicle because it's for your circumstances, that's great and to modify it as you go along. There is always something in hindsight that you want to change. Damn!
My latest is the best, surprise. But I built it in 5 months to get away. As soon as it was finished we were booked onto a ferry to Holland. Two months later were were in Portugal.
So in hindsight I took to long to build and not travel, This one I got on with it.

Mike

Quote from: Chip on February 03, 2015, 06:45:05 PM
Hi Mike hope you can answer this. Been following your great blog for awhile now, mostly your van build articles. I think your van has got to be one of the best conversions I've seen on the net.

I wanted to ask, in hindsight, if there's anything you would of done differently with regards to your van? For instance would of you still of built the shower which I'm sure must take up quite some room in a small van and use up loads of water? How about the gas boiler, if you didn't install the shower do you think you could live without instant hot water?

Yeah good question. The shower and toilet is really not needed (I wasn't sure about it at the time). The instant heater is not essential but is very handy for filling a tub of hot water for washing in and washing clothes.

Dudegoeswalkabout

Have you used the shower or toilet at all?  I was thinking of pretty much copying your layout when I do my own van.  I think the toilet would be good to have for a situation where you might get caught short, but what about the shower?  Where are you showering at the moment? What about when you're not with a community?

Chip

Quote from: Mike on February 12, 2015, 07:54:28 PM
Yeah good question. The shower and toilet is really not needed (I wasn't sure about it at the time). The instant heater is not essential but is very handy for filling a tub of hot water for washing in and washing clothes.

Thanks for the reply, any other things you might of done differently?

Quote from: Dudegoeswalkabout on February 12, 2015, 07:59:37 PM
Have you used the shower or toilet at all?  I was thinking of pretty much copying your layout when I do my own van.  I think the toilet would be good to have for a situation where you might get caught short, but what about the shower?  Where are you showering at the moment? What about when you're not with a community?

Think a porta potty would be the best solution and save lots of space. Shower wise I'm not sure. Maybe with Mikes configuration you could get away with a shower curtain which folds away and a shower base  which you can cover over when not in use, reclaiming all that space. For the actual shower I'd probably use a 10 litre container with one of those battery powered showers.

Camper Van Travels

For the loo I just use a large water container for piddles and for #2's a folding festival loo seat, pop in a dustbin bag do your business, tie a knot in the bag when finished and dump it in the nearest dog poo bin.

For the shower I use a 10L water container, fill it up with warm water and with some holes punched in the plastic cap with a braddle, hold it above your head and stand underneath it. Done and dusted. In summer I can simply bung one of those dirt cheap black shower wotsits on top of the van roof and then stand under the attached hose for a dribble of a shower at the start or end of the day as the mood takes me.