• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Newbie needing advice on buying van!

Started by Cicelygp, April 02, 2018, 03:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cicelygp

Hi there everybody!
I am a student looking to buy a van so that I can save money on rent and go travelling! I am 18 and have absolutely no clue about vans.
I went on this website selling second hand vans and found this:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804015132818?advertising-location=at_vans&postcode=ba128at&body-type=Minibus&page=1
As I plan to be living in it I want it to be reasonably big and have a high roof, also want something that's cheap as I don't have much money!
That's why I picked out this can. I was thinking I could take out all the seats and do up the inside with reclaimed wood and furniture.
I was wondering if this van would be a decent choice? Is the mileage ok, and is it okay to get a van that runs on diesel? Also is it ok to get sth that's so cheap or is that a bad idea? Any advice at all would be really helpful!
Thank you!
Cicely

Camper_Dan

Greetings & Welcome!

It's a passenger window van, that's a huge plus.  Simply remove the seats, and move your new furniture in, the floor, walls, and ceiling are already finished.

It's a diesel... Possibly a huge minus, there has been rumblings that the UK might ban diesels.  In the USA, diesels cost much more to own and operate, don't know if that's true in the UK.

I would take it to a reliable mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection, then if it runs and drives good and doesn't need a bunch of repairs, I would buy it.  Even if it only lasts a year, and you keep your build portable so it can easily be transferred into a different van later, you should come out money ahead.

Good Luck & keep us posted!

Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!