• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Over cab bed for child fixing

Started by phillnzo6kids, March 03, 2019, 06:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillnzo6kids

Hi. Have finally just about got rid of the moody roof carpet for our ex mini bus convoy. Wanting to build a over cab bed for my 8 year old what's the best way of fixing it to the van.
Thanks

Camper_Dan

Greetings!

Are you thinking of a permanent bed, or one that must be raised & lowered, or possibly slid?

Is the bus body at upper bed height steel or fiberglass?  Ribs?

Cheers!
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!

phillnzo6kids

hi
thanks for the reply.
the roof is fibreglass but the ribs are metal.and along the edge where the roof meets the body there is a small metal lip. i was thinking for having a tilting bed to give a bit more head room in the daytime. i have got the frame of a kingsize bed with slats so i am going to try and sort something with it. i was thinking of having brackets and using self taping screws to fix to the metal with a wooden frame with slats across. will that be strong enough?
getting that glue off the roof was so time consuming :-[

Camper_Dan

Greetings!

It would probably be strong enough, but I'd be a little concerned about the weight.

A design that I like is similar to how they make the zero gravity loungers.  Lightweight pipe type frame, then mesh which is laced to the frame using elastic cord.  It's real lightweight, and due to it's design, it adds extra bounce to the bed for added comfort.  It allows you to use a thinner foam matress, but no slats to feel through it.

Just a thought...
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!