• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Insulating Floor

Started by kernowviking, June 26, 2019, 12:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernowviking

Evening all.

I'm in the process of welding up the floor on the Convoy, so the first job following that is laying down the floor.

We will be spending quite some time inside the arctic circle, so expect to be chilly.

However, being a minibus (lots of glass), there's no point going crazy on the insulation. That's what the propex HS2000 is for!

I have however been told A lot of cold comes up through the floor, so should I be insulating before installing the sub-floor (laminate)?

Cheers all
instagram: @rfordy

Camper_Dan

Greetings!

North of the arctic circle besides insulating the floor, you're going to want carpet or at least thick throw rugs.

That hs2000 is probably only 6500 BTU, and that likely will not be enough.  In weather that cold, I use a 23k BTU wick type kerosene heater.  In the USA, kerosene winds up being much cheaper than propane, and it's much safer as well.  Mine will also burn diesel if kerosene isn't readily available.

Cheers!
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!

kernowviking

Cheers Dan,

We will be going in May if this makes any difference?

Yeah the HS2000 is 1.9kW (or just shy of 6500 BTU), although it's not an enormous space, if insulating the windows at night would help, or even going further with the insulation, then I wouldn't be against it.

I've only had a bad experience with an old wick heater while camping as a kid, so I am a little bit dubious, especially using in an enclosed space.

Camper_Dan

Greetings!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with a wick type heater.  I've been using them for many years now, including running them all night if it's below freezing out, and never had any trouble.  At -60f I could keep my interior in the 70's,  with no added insulation and not covering the windows.

When I had a heavily insulated windowless van, the doors and windows got frozen shut, and trapped me inside.  Without added insulation, my heater will prevent any snow or ice buildup on the outside of my van or windows.  Keeps everything dry inside too.

Cheers!
Pass them on!!!

kernowviking

It's that forever balance between insulation and ventilation. I've got a permanent rotating roof vent which will provide at least some constant air movement.

I think I'll make up some window covers, but not go too mad elsewhere. If not for the insulation, but some privacy!

Camper_Dan

Greetings!

Window covers can definitely come in handy at times.  I usually just use a sleep mask myself, if I don't need privacy.  I really don't care if someone wants to watch me sleep.  My bathroom is private, other than that, not so much...

Cheers!

Pass them on!!!

kernowviking

Haha yeah fair enough!
Other than the fact we're taking my son who will be 3 when we go, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest