• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

The cost of not dealing with rust on my Transit - £1400!

Started by David Evans, February 21, 2015, 09:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Evans

I wish I'd attended to my Transit's rust in a timely manner like Mike did on the Vandog LDV!
My part-time home, a 10 year old 54 reg Ford Transit van just failed its MOT on rust problems. The tester who phoned told me that due to the extent of the problem it is beyond economic repair. The shocking news hit me like an express train and I had to sit down.
It is rusted away completely on both sills, the seat belt anchorages are unsound, rusted through around the point where the wheel arches meet the floor and many other places. A year ago the tester merely made mention of three possible areas of rusty concern.
In a state of desperation (I've put so much work and money into my van that it is beyond mere monetary value) I phoned around for quotes to see if it was possible to get the necessary welding done, and the best firm - I hope - and price quoted is £1400 (I know, I could buy another van for that, but would it be the same story, plus re-fitting it out for months?)
They guarantee that after their work is finished it will pass the MOT.
I've booked it in for this coming Monday and it will be away for ten days - that length of time allows them to do it as and when, and brings the price down accordingly.
The reason I'm posting this is firstly as a warning to Transit owners (probably applies to every van owner actually!) to be really careful to treat any rust as soon as possible, as every bit of these vans seems to be considered 'structural' with regard to suspension mounting; and secondly to forewarn anyone looking around at vans to be really careful that what you are buying will last a comfortable length of time. If you already have a Transit I would get an expert to look at it and tell you where it is necessary to make any repairs now, before an MOT tester pokes holes in your underside(!).
I really hope I haven't worried you, but it's possible this is a timely warning and you may be able to prevent yourself having the horrible news I just had. I've fitted my home with so much equipment and garnishing that it's unimaginable to lose it, and having looked at alternatives I can't find anything I like as much.
Love to all, Dave.

Tai-chi wanderer

I've got a transit, not too bad underneath but i do keep a weather eye on it all the time.
It's the salt on the roads, when I bought a Renault Master in Spain a few years ago it was sparkly underneath, not a spot of rust at all.

That's where buying a newbie van, if you're rich, pays off. Especially jumping on it and getting it fully treated underneath before you start. Another reason for living abroad. 8)

treevorb

Gutted for you Dave, I know the feeling. My LDV Convoy was in a sorry state and I had to get a lot of welding done to the arches and cab floor 24 months back.
I have kept on top of her since then and she only needed minimal for her to pass this years test.
If you are anywhere local I can have a word with my mate and see if he can do anything about that £1400 price. To be fair most jobs should not take more than a couple of days, a long weekend at most.
Let me know
Trevor
Facebook
The Euro Bimble

richwill

Good of you to post the warning. It's not much fun when it comes to the cost but you'll have no doubt saved others a pretty tidy sum too. Thank you for that.
Life is a journey. Make the most of it.

Camper Van Travels

Thanks for reminding me Dave. My MOT just ran too and there are a couple of little patches of rust which need attention, oh and the bonnet catch, mustn't forget that (using rope at the moment to tie the bonnet down). One number plate light, headlamp adjustment, battery catch wotsit to hold it in place, brake master cylinder, one rear tyre, possibly the windscreen washer bottle (cracked) although it still works, slight corrosion on the passenger seat and one 1/4 panel window and last but least 2 new wiper blades. Hopefully nothing else lol.

Sorry to hear about yours though. Do you not know any decent welders on the traveling scene, only I bet you could find someone who would do it for you cash in hand for a lot less. £1,400 does seem a bit steep. Might be worth after it's welded this time rustproofing everything underneath to protect it for future use?

Good luck with it Dave.