• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

This would make a superb van conversion

Started by Camper Van Travels, March 04, 2015, 08:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camper Van Travels

Not bad for the money - £2,000.

You could sell the tail lift off the back of it to get some of your money back to and put this towards your conversion. Or just use the tail lift as a veranda to give some extra room when parked up. Click on the Google Images link below, look through the photos and you'll see what I mean.

Sleep above the cab, the space below is plenty big enough for a sofa, wood burner, kitchen, shower and what have you. Load of head room inside and natural light too if the top of the luton van is 'clear' fibreglass.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/vans/lwb-luton-van-with-tail-lift/1103070659

Some ideas for the interior conversion:

http://goo.gl/ZmrPp8 (Google Images link)

Hopefully this will inspire one or two of you into action what with spring being just around the corner.

Tai-chi wanderer

The square body really lends itself to converting and have thought along those lines. The only drawback I could see was ..
1) The f/glass roof really lets in the cold and heat, we sheet ali-ed one over the stop this but it cost a lot.
2) The running cost of a bigger engine, great if you are parking up for long, long periods. But travelling abroad it's burning a lot of fuel. Unless you have a chip shop. Also parking and traveling thru the towns, as said took a few sun shade awnings down in Italy.
We have settled for small and neat, stealth van size, and get away with fading into the background. Good if you like hiking for a few days, we tuck it down a side street and walk away whistling.

Camper Van Travels

You're not supposed to be highlighting ruddy problems lad, you're supposed to be bloomin' encouraging them (the have not's) making them believe this is easy not blinkin' hard work. I don't know, what are we gonna do with you eh? ::)

If it's too hot open the back roller door up fully and park in the shade or underneath a tree. Makes no odds in summer hot is hot in a van, that's what the solar panels are for to keep the electric fan happy to cool down (at least that's what I use in the summer). Or in this case, open up the back roller shutter door and if you still want privacy keep the tail lift in the upright position and open up the newly fitted side windows to get a draught going through.

If it's cold, easy solution, buy a load of cheap 8' x 4' ply sheets the lighter the better and attach these to the sides, it's a removal van so that'll be dead simple - wouldn't take more than a day at most to do it.

For the insulation, just hit every building site around and ask the foreman for offcuts of Kingspan thermal insulation (or similar) or use 8' x 4' x 1" polystyrene sheets. Light the wood burner and you'll be toasty. Plenty of room on board for loads of logs.

The engine is no bigger in these than the hightop vans. It's a 2.5TD. It'll do between 28-32mpg on a run. And about 22-25mpg around town being that it's a luton.

There are no problems only solutions! ;)

Tai-chi wanderer

There are no problems only solutions! ;)

Like it, I think the other way round, get them on the road in any ole van. Then when they get a taste for more comfort they come here ->  8)

Your'e right there is so much you can do to a van to make it homely, lets just feed them goody stories and set them on the road. Wish I had a Forum like this 30 years ago. Would have saved a mach2 learning curve.

kay4peace

How does this forum work ? Is it yous 2 lol ???!!

Tai-chi wanderer

Hi Kay4peace, welcome aboard.
Mike 'Vandog.com' is the admin and started the site off earlier this year.

Scroll down on some of the threads and you will pick him up, to view his profile.

kay4peace

Hi yes I've been following his blog , he seems to be doing all the things I wish I'd done at that age lol . That's not what I meant tho , you 2 seem to be the main people on here .

Tai-chi wanderer

Yeah seems like that, Mark and me have bonded, in a manly way of course.

Just needs a few more peeps adding there memories and ask Q's about builds. Swat we are all here for.

kay4peace

So do you have to keep checking if someone has answered a question you may of posted or do you get an e-mail or something ? Sorry if I sound a bit dim ! :-/

Tai-chi wanderer

Just keep an eye open on your thread, some one will be along to answer it fer sure.

Camper Van Travels

I write for a living, here I just let 'my hair' down Kay. Chill out and relax. Rather than writing professionally for a change.

Aye the forum has got nothing to do with Patrick or myself, we're just posters like you enjoying a bit of banter. It would be good though to see some more interaction between other kindly souls then I can ease off a bit lol.

Top of the day to you lass.

kay4peace

What I want to know is what make people decide where to go in there van?

Camper Van Travels

Good scenery, beautiful countryside, peace and quiet. Beaches, clifftops, surf whatever takes my fancy Kay.

I tend to spend a fair bit of my time down on The Lizard or down in the far west of Cornwall. My other favourite locations are Bodmin Moor, Exmoor and Dartmoor.

treevorb

Quote. What I want to know is what make people decide where to go in there van?

Well that's just it, the not knowing. I like to set off and see what I find and I've never been let down yet, there's always something

Facebook
The Euro Bimble