• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Thoughts on a shell- AWD or 4WD?

Started by green.zorak, February 03, 2017, 06:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green.zorak

Hi Everyone,
My husband and I are embarking on the first step of our adventure van dream- finding a vehicle! I am hoping that this wonderful community will help steer us in the right direction. Right now our biggest unknown is do we really need a 4wd or will an all awd do? We currently do most of camping out of a tundra. While we are not avid 4 wheelers, we like the option to get off the beaten path for more private camping or that extra remote trail head. Looking to the future... we have been looking at used awd and quigley converted savannas and express vans. We both work in public service so sprinters and sportsmobiles are not an option (short of a miracle) :) We are interested in explorers and other conversion vans but don't know if need to rule them out or if they can handle a bit of terrain??? We also need to be able to tow a horse trailer, so that eliminates some other van models. If you have any knowledge to share about ideas or suggestions or have experiemented with off raoding any of these models PLEASE share! thanks!

Vanholio !

I'm in the United States and camp often on public lands (as well as crown land in Canada). My one regret about my van is that it's not 4WD (it's front wheel drive, and car height from ground). I find that I can get into the backcountry fairly well on most forest roads. Many in the North America are graded smooth, some even improved with gravel and drainage, to accommodate logging and mining trucks. But every now and then I am confronted with a steep hill; a rough, rocky patch; or mud, ice, or snow. I *usually* do OK, but a higher clearance and 4WD would have saved me from a few problems and undercarriage repairs. To summarize, a 4WD isn't essential, but every now and then it's very nice.