• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Using eberspacer hydronic to heat camper van conversion.

Started by Mustasjo, August 19, 2017, 08:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustasjo

Hello!

I have recently started working on a van conversion, and I need to install some sort of heating to survive a norwegian winter.

The car came with an Eberspacer hydronic with (I think) is currently used for heating the engine. Could I utilize this to heat my camper? If so what would I need to do?

My personal idea would be to install tubes along the floor or the cargoroom/my living area and pump water heated by the eberspacer through them, witch would probobaly require an extra pump?

In advance thanks!!

PS. I'm new here, so just wanted to say I'm looking forward to check out this forum  :)

Camper_Dan

Greetings & Welcome!

Most of those setups I've seen use the engine to heat the water, not the heater to heat the engine.  Then in addition to the engine heating water, once parked, it can heat the water without the engine running.

Most of the attempts of in floor heating I've seen were very disappointing.  I'd just get a portable 23k BTU kerosene heater and call it good.  I've done winters down to -50f with mine and stayed very comfortable.  I also have a smaller one to just maintain the temperature once I get it warm enough to be comfortable. 

Good Luck & keep us posted!
Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!

Mustasjo

Thanks for your advice!

I'll steer clear of floor heating then. I have a couple more questions, dont know I should make a new thread or not. I think I'll just ask them here, and please let me know if I should have done diffrently.

Do you have any experience with wood ovens in campers?

Do you have advice for sound insulating with foam?

Camper_Dan

Wood is a nice dry heat, but it's terribly messy inside a vehicle, requires a lot of dead air space around it, and typically isn't very convenient either.  One big complaint I've heard from people who have tried it is that the fire wouldn't last all night, and they'd wake up freezing and have to stoke the fire.

I carry 2x 7 gallon jugs of kerosene, and even at -50f that's enough to last me a month or more.  Huge space savings by comparison, and no messing with ashes, bugs, etc. and as bonus, as long as I fuel, I never have  to go out in the cold after firewood either.

As for soundproofing and/or insulation, can you describe your floor, walls, and ceiling to me for what you have now, and is it a window van, or a cargo van?

Cheers!
Pass them on!!!

Camper_Dan

I just thought of another possible option for you.  You could hook up a small radiator, like a heater core to your water heater, along with a pump to circulate the water through the water heater and the radiator, and then put a 12v fan behind it to blow the warm air out into the van.  It's possible that the fan might not even be necessary.

Cheers!
Pass them on!!!

Mustasjo

Yes, it is a Wolksvagen LT35 (Same chassie as the Sprinter Type1 / pre 2006 model). It is totally stripped, except for a 8mm floor. Looks like this https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg/show_picture.pl?l=norsk&rais=1&oiu=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F95%2F4e%2Fcd%2F954ecd96fb108e5df648ae494407a259.jpg&sp=d257dd51e5b2fce7e292ba54208360fc. No windows, so a cargo van I guess. The floor is currently coverd in a temporary 8mm wood sheet that came with, but this will be removed when I insulate the floor.

Hmm.. I like you're idea. Definetly had not though of that. I still haven't quite given up on the wood stove though, I really like this setup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H2AXMrspFg. But I think for now I should focus on insulating, then fixing a heater later. If I dont have enough time to do something fancy before winter comes, I'll just opt for a kerosene burner.

Once again thank you so much for your advice and fast replies!

Camper_Dan

That is a nice looking wood stove, but I would be concerned whether it would burn all night on a really cold night without the need to refuel it.  There's nothing worse than waking up freezing because your fire goes out.  Sleeping straight through the night is pretty high on my priority list.

Be careful with your insulation job not to create anywhere that moisture can get trapped...

Keep us posted,

Cheers!
Pass them on!!!