• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Wind power

Started by Rustbuss, April 16, 2017, 11:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rustbuss

Is anyone running a wind turbine on their van?

I quite fancy building one for fun, as I don't think its a viable power option (perhaps I am wrong?) I imagine you need clean air to get them to spin enough power to make a difference (hence them being at sea or open land)

What's the noise like? Have you got yours attached to the van or a separate pole away from it? How did you build it? What have you used for blades? I am OK with the motor, but I'm stuck on blades

I've clearly got too much time on my hands

Camper_Dan

I had a number of charging options on my boat, charging while running, wind power, and also water power.  I can't tell you how well they really worked, only that between them, I never had dead house batteries.

My wind turbine was a vertical axis one, that looked a lot like the rounded roof vents that you see on buildings.  It was mounted to the roof, but was not a vent, just a wind generator.  It was nearly silent.  Certainly not enough noise to be bothersome.

Occasionally I would be moored near someone with a propeller type turbine on a pole, and they were noisy.

The problem with wind, solar, or hydro power is the conditions need to be just right.  You need wind, sun, or flowing water in order for them to work.  None of these things are necessarily within our control.  Charging while driving, or with a generator ARE within our control, so these two options, along with shore power (that I never use) are the options that I have found to be the best.

Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!

Rustbuss

Thanks Dan, I'm going to google the HELL out of vertical turbine motors right now...I also generate power as I drive which you correctly point out is actually the most efficient way of charging,but I've got to say it is less fun  ;D

Camper_Dan

Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!