• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Adding flush+proper toilet to a van? Worth it?

Started by rockyroad, January 14, 2020, 03:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockyroad

Planning a small upgrade for my vehicle as I've been thinking about simplifying my current... ehm, hygiene setup. Rather tired of bucket+pellet system.

How difficult would it be to add a toilet and blackwater tank to a cargo van? For instance, the holding tank just mounts underneath the van with a hole going through the floor, where the toilet mounts directly on top. For flushing, I'd have a plastic water tank (doesn't need to be huge) inside the van, with either an electric or manual pump. Will this work?

As for toilet itself, been thinking about installing a portable one but with flushing system added. Portapotti - from what I found - would be perfect for my conversion, but those are rather pricey, so I am looking for recommendations on a good product/price and something that will definitely contain the waste, not stink up the inside of the van if left in there on a hot day, and is easy to clean, etc. Any experience with Thetford or Camco (both on this list)?

I know everyone does this differently, and some even choose to travel without one (like you, Mike), and my idea is not the best I believe, but I'd like to to hear various answers.
VW California Campervan