• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Lots of questions about converting my Explorer

Started by madiromo, March 20, 2016, 10:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madiromo

Hello! I'm in the process of converting my 98 Ford Explorer..which has definitely presented some challenges considering it's size and interior height, but I'm working through it pretty well.

I've got a pretty good layout of what I want to do on the inside, but there are a few things I'm unsure of. I have minimal skills in these areas...so I'm kind of just trying to figure things out as I go along.

I would love to have a sofa bed(is that the right term?) so that I can slide it out when I want to sleep, but keep it relatively small when I'm just hanging out. I've tried to look for good tutorials and how-to's, but haven't quite found one that will fit my needs. I definitely need something that will allow me to have storage(just the short, plastic storage tubs. not the big huge ones) while still being able to expand into a bed. Ideally, my bed will be somewhere between a full and a twin when completely open.

Another issue is, I'm not 100% comfortable bolting and screwing EVERYTHING down. I do have a little leeway with some things, as there are plenty of gaps around where the back seats go down(no, I'm not taking those out) so I can definitely secure things down in those area, particularly the bed.
But, adjacent to the bed I was to have a small area of cabinets, and I'm not sure how to go about securing them.

I'm keeping most of the inside of the car intact. So, the walls are staying as is, the seats will be there, and I'm not making any other serious changes in that way except for the floors. Any tips or advice would be very appreciated!