• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Skylights/electric fan. Condensation. Insulation and fitting the roof/ceiling.

Started by Ceris, November 08, 2015, 01:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ceris

Hello lovely Van dwellers  :)

I am new to this forum and I'm in desperate need of some help. I'm finding it all a bit overwhelming if I'm honest. I took the roof panels off my van some time ago to get some insulation done. The panels are back up but I haven't fixed them on as they need to come back off again to fit a skylight, and a fan for the shower room.

The roof used to have lights and speakers fixed into it so there are holes all over it. I'm in 2 minds as to whether I want to just buy new panels or patch up the old ones somehow. There are curved metal pieces that fit the contour of the van which is the only thing holding the panels up at the moment which is surprisingly secure. The felt is hanging off at this stage waiting for me to decide on what on earth I'm doing with the roof, and doing a great impression of curtains. I am concerned about the insulation getting damp due to condensation especially at this time of year so I'm anxious to get it sealed in before any great damage is done.

The roof panels were already there as part of the original van which had been converted into a bus. They were screwed directly into the metal supports of the van so I didn't have to add wooden supports like Mike. I used sheeps wool and foil insulation.

I'm looking for some much needed advise on how to fit the skylight and fan. I'm guessing that they both must be fitted before the shower room goes in as it would make no sense to try and re-attach the panels after. Or should I be fitting the shower room first and try to fit the panels around it? I noticed that there is an extractor fan in Mike's shower room in wall, but the book doesn't explain where the extracted air goes? Out the back? Through the roof? How was this done when the insulation and wooden cladding were already in place? I would have thought it would have to go in beforehand.

I'm wondering about cutting the holes also. Basically drill holes in each corner and saw with a power hacksaw? Then I'd have to find some ingenious way of cutting the hole in exactly the right place on the wooden panel and match it up? How? These panels are huge and difficult to work with. Pleeeease tell me your wonderful secrets! 

I need to make a hole for a chimney for a wood burner which I don't have yet. Any advise on wood burners would be amazing.

Ah my other problem - condensation. This seems to collect in the front cab and run down to where my mirror is. It drips all over me, the steering wheel, and my dog. There are definitely no holes so it's not a leak. Is there any way to prevent this? Would putting in the foil insulation help? Or do I need to create vents in this area so the water can escape?

Many thanks in advance for your help. I really appreciate this forum being here.

Crazyskyrave Chris

Sounds like you've got a mammoth challenge here.
My conv' is slow to non existent due to work commitments (meh) so I don't feel authorised to comment on or advise on how to tackle your probs. I bought a pack of silver bubble wrap from screw fix and spray glued it wherever I could to the inside of the panels all over the van.(on the bare metal) Even the cab. I also poked about 3 rolls of glass fibre insulation into all the reinforcement channels from front to back (very laborious) but worth it. Only the windows condensate but not so much if I leave them open slightly. A pair of side window wind sheilds, apart from looking boy racer ish prevents the rain coming in and disguises the fact that the windows are open slightly.
There's a few good pointers in Mikes book might help your other queries.

cheers. ;)