• Welcome to A forum for van conversions, van living and travel. Please log in or sign up.

Forum upgraded!

Buying a van, not sure of the size I want vs. type of camping I’m doing

Started by AesopsFables, January 06, 2019, 12:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What size should I get?

Go with the regular wheelbase especially for a daily driver and city visits
0 (0%)
Take the plunge and get the longer taller model you'll appreciate the space!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

AesopsFables

Hi folks, new here, I did live in my 1969 VW Hard top camper for over five years, but I'm about to get back into it as it was the best years of my life! So I have two intertangled issues. I'll start by saying that I have a nice little lake home, but I plan on this being my daily driver and my home away from home. For certain I'll be living in it half the year traveling at least, If not more. I also travel for work and design has to take into consideration that as well.

This leads well into my dual issue: size; Height and Length!... now being my daily driver and being known to go into the city at times to visit I am attracted to a shorter more standard wheelbase and just enough height to stand in (I'm 5'10"). In this scenario it would be omething that could be parallel parked on a street or even parked in a parking garage. This also lends itself, I think to a bit more "gorilla" camping, meaning camping places where perhaps you're not allowed, but can park or that sort of thing, I think a more standard size doesn't stick out and yell "I live here" as much (perhaps I'm wrong). On the other side, the added height allows for two very valuable things; a top bunk and storage cabinets! The top bunk in my opinion has two values, one that I have friends who would love to come camping and it allows guests. Second it also allows for a dedicated bed, which allows you to live in the van and still have a bed available. where most likely my plan on the ground floor would be benche(s) that convert into a bed (though I'm not confirmed on this and I do see value to a high fixed rear bed and a storage trunk under it as well...) which means packing up the bed every morning to have a living space.

So I've done research into vans and boiled it down to two (though I'm sure I've made my decision), the Mercedes Sprinter and the Ford Transit. Both have pros and cons and I know people could probably talk forever but this is my breakdown: the Sprinter has awd and 4wd options the Ford doesn't, but the Sprinter seems more expensive to maintain and (no offense) a number of tow and repair people I know say they tow a lot of them. They are also harder to get but on the size side, they don't offer much in a standard size wheel base, with the sprinter, you get the full height and the added length standard!

The Transit lacks 4wd, which is a big one being I live in snow. Of course the plan is to leave the snow, but I'd like a vehicle with good traction!  I've read a ton on differing opinions from owners on this and a few camper owners mention it isn't a problem as with the camper build out the weight on the rear wheels makes traction great and more rugged tires are an option as well. Other than that it has a killer track record, low cost repairs, a great Diesel engine and really does seem set up right. The options are a bit hard to tweak between the passenger and cargo models but it's workable... the big issue is so simple! The tall roof option is only a available with the extended wheelbase! So it's either mid height regular length. Which I can admittedly stand with ease and two inches over my head. Or go extended with the tall roof for top storage and a top bunk and give up the low profile and maneuverability of the standard length.

It doesn't seem like a huge deal, I know, but I'm very detail oriented. I know I get 18 inches more inside with the extended, which in the end I'm sure I could use to my benefit in a build, but for some reason the idea of the lower height and shorter vehicle seems attractive to me! Give me some thoughts, any thoughts please! I'll probably do the same thing when it comes to deciding layout! Thanks all!

Camper_Dan

Greetings & Welcome!

Hmmm... Well mine is extended length but a low top.  I can't stand up, but I can cook, shower, use the toilet, or work while seated, so it's really no big deal to me.  If it's tall enough to stand in, it won't likely fit in parking garages, go through drive thru's etc.

I like the long but low type passenger window vans.  They'll still fit in a normal parking space, and my old Dodge (1986) will turn on a dime, unlike the Ford Econolines that had a horrible turning radius.  Not sure about the Transits. 

You couldn't pay me enough to have another diesel, especially any of the newer ones.  Overall, the cost of ownership is just to high...

Other things to consider on newer vans are the costs of depreciation, and if financing, the costs of interest.  You'll never lose much on an older, fully depreciated van that you can pay cash for.  New(er) may sound good, but on paper it's a financial train wreck.  I lost over $30k in a year on one newish rig.  In contrast, my current van plus conversion came in at a little over $1,000 and it's been reliable, trouble free, and comfortable for over 10 years now, and it drives better than any of the newer vans I've owned or drove while working.  ( I haven't driven a new Transit, or ProMaster yet, but Sprinters are cheap chintzy garbage.)

Cheers!

Smiles are extremely contagious,
Pass them on!!!