A forum for van conversions, van living and travel

Author Topic: what battery for 100 watt solar panel  (Read 197 times)

Moderategamer

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
what battery for 100 watt solar panel
« on: January 09, 2019, 09:00:19 AM »
Hi there I have a 100 watt solar panel but I'm not sure what size of battery I will need. I will only be using a laptop and some led lights most of the time and occasionally using an electric toaster grill.

Camper_Dan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 436
  • Karma: +12/-80
  • 20+ years of Life On Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: what battery for 100 watt solar panel
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 03:44:36 PM »
Greetings & Welcome!

Forget the electric toaster grill.  You'll want at least a 100ah deep cycle battery, an isolator to charge your house battery while driving, and quite possibly a generator and a battery charger.  If you drive enough, you might be able to get away without the generator.

Technically you should have about 300+ watts of solar for a 100ah battery, especially during the winter.

Don't know how much power your laptop uses, but try to get a car cord for it if you don't already have one.  The LED lights shouldn't draw enough to worry about.  To run anything electric, you're going to need more batteries and either an inverter or a generator.  I wouldn't try using an inverter with anything less than about 300ah worth of batteries.  Remember that batteries are only good for about half of their amp hour rating, and inverters can draw an extra 20%-25% on top of what you're using them for.

I have a 100ah battery, and skipped the solar, and just charge with an isolator while driving about 99% of the time, then use my generator and a battery charger the other 1% of the time unless I'm in an RV park with hookups, then I just use their power and my battery charger. 

Good Luck, and keep us posted!

Cheers!
My negative karma ratings reflect the number of spammers,
scammers and bad advice that I've exposed, feel free...